Stubby time!

Imanupstart
This post is 5283 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got this posted over at bike chat forums, thought I'd post it up here for you guys to laugh at my attempt :lol:

Thought I might do my best to document this, to help anyone else who's thinking of doing it. I've read a few guides on the net but I am completely hopeless with anything to do with making/maintenance pretty much anything mechanical. I was amazed when I managed to fit bar end mirrors and still to this day feel proud, that's how bad I am. If I can pull this off, anyone can, and I mean anyone.

I bought this Scorpion stainless oval for my Bandit at this years bmf show but I came home and was very disappointed at the lack of pretty much any audible improvement :blink: So its time to do the right thing and stubby it :D

Stopped off at Homebase on the way home from work and picked up a rivet gun, 3 sizes of rivets, 3mm metal drill bits and two hacksaw blades for cutting metal (even got asked for id buying the blades, how crazy is that). This is how far I am currently.

*Sorry for the crap pics, Dad's in spain with my d-slr*

Here's the pipe as it was, looks alright, pretty long but just not loud enough.

DSC_0005.jpg

Pipe off the bike and all the bits, rivet gun, blades and drill bits

SP_A0441.jpg

Drilled the heads off all the rivets at the spout end using the 3mm drill bit and a hammer, then punched the remaining bit of the rivet through using a small screwdriver. After much hammering, shouting and pulling I was left with this :o The point of no return I think its called....

SP_A0442.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

*Next day*

I was thinking about popping to the gym today but after doing this I don't think I'll bother! Trip to B&Q to replace our elusive hacksaw, found some big hose clips as I don't have much faith in my ability to cut straight! Crap pics below :D

Cut line marked out

SP_A0445.jpg

That internal baffle was one thick f*cker! Took a while but the end result is looking pretty good.

SP_A0446.jpg

7" stubby.....oh that's tempting!

SP_A0448.jpg

Reward time :D

SP_A0449.jpg

Jobs for tomorrow are to fit the standard exhaust back onto my bike so I can get to work monday :lol: . And hopefully find a way to get the bloody internal baffle out so I can cut it down, its wedged in there pretty good :blink:

Stopped off at Homebase on the way home from work and picked up a rivet gun, 3 sizes of rivets, 3mm metal drill bits and two hacksaw blades for cutting metal (even got asked for id buying the blades, how crazy is that)

laughed when i saw you got asked for id in homebase.

i went in for some glue there a few weeks ago and was asked for id, :unsure:

i said are you joking over 18 i am over 60 the girl said with a straight face its company policy we have to ask everyone! i said even old folk like me she said yes even old folk like you. :lol:

hope you get the baffles out

don't forget to keep the BS number on the can or it will fail the MOT!!

I'm sure you won't be too "baffled" with the next stage :lol:

So far so good, looks better than i thought it would after reading your 1st little bit of write up ;)

I'm sure you won't be too "baffled" with the next stage :lol:

Funny you should say that, it took me ages to work out that its welded in on the inlet, had to drill the rivets out at the other end and managed to hack and inch and a half off the baffle, should all fit nicely now Got a day off work wednesday to hopefully get this finished.

Why not just remove the baffle? You must have the standad can right just for MOT's?

Oh dont worry the removable baffle is staying out :P But inside the exhaust surrounded by all this fiberglassy packing there is a length of pipe that runs through the exhaust. This is what I've heard been called the "internal baffle" and it helps to cut down the nouse, hold the shape and all that jazz, apparently.

Diagram because Its hard to explain when you have very little clue what your talking about :lol:

muffler-glasspack.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, man flu :lol:

Almost done! Getting the spout end back on was a bit of a pain, was filing away thinking that would help me slip it back in so to speak. Well it didn't, but the hammer I used worked wonders :D Just need to rivet it all back together, using aluminium rivets at the moment, cant find any better ones anywhere. I plan to upgrade them in the near future (unlikely!)

DSC_0163-1.jpg

Thats the way it should look how does it sound ?

Yeah pretty nice, took a quick mobile vid but it sounds alot louder in person, nice deep growl to it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy7j0nyKgYU

Just want the weather to clear up so I can taker her out and have a listen!

good job.

didn't know vids could be put in here. I was under the impression that only the Vid section was enabled!! ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online