82 XS400SJ Master Cylinder

63-Coupe
This post is 5224 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone. I just recently picked up an 82 XS400SJ Heritage Special. It needs a lot of bits and pieces but one of the things I am concerned with is the master cylinder. There seems to be too much travel in the handle to start with as it almost touches the grip and the resevoir sits at an almost 45 degree angle when the bike is level. I have a suspicion that this may not be the correct master cylinder for the bike. Does anyone know the correct part number, can give me any idea how to positively identify it or, better yet, can someone post or send me a picture of just what this master cylinder should look like and how it is oriented on the handlebar?

Does anyone know if a master cylinder off an XS650 will fit? I have access to a 650 that is being stripped for parts.

Thanks, Norm

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think there was a specific master cylinder for this bike with extra angled mount to level the cylinder. sounds like there is air in the system for the lever to pull back like that.

if the xs650 has similar bars and is single disk, then you should be ok with that.

drewps

• 2 months later...

A good site I found to locate part numbers for our bike is Star Motorcycles.

However, something very odd I found is that they do not list the 82 xs400sj as having a front disc brake. So, it is pretty confusing but by looking at the J and RJ models, I believe it is the same setup but I have yet to confirm it. They use part # 2RJ-25870-00-00, and this resembles what I have on mine. I wonder if the disc brake was an optional feature for this model.