help: DT kick start not always engaging

KevShek
This post is 5308 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

One final problem I need to sort out. The kick start won't engage first time. I've had the cover off and hav e check the shaft, gear, spur gear and spring which all seem to be fine. The kick lever returns back to the top so I know the spring is working. What I have to do is flick the kick start a few times by hand, once I feel it engage, then I have to keep pressure on it, place my foot onto it then kick the bike over. Is there something that's worn or missing that would cause the start not to engage? The spur gear does slide back and forth on the end of the shaft, but I don't know what's supposed to move it into position.

Can anyone help?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My bike never had a kicker but im clutching at straws in guessing a worn or missing spring of some type?

Is there an exploded parts diagram in the manual to see what goes where?

On the older DT there is a type of spring clip. It lives on the inside edge of the kick start gear and it stops it spinning just enough to make it engage with the idler to start the engine.

Have a look here, http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-dt175h-1981_model8795/partslist/B-05.html

I know its not a perfect diagram but you are looking at item 3 not being in position or missing at a guess. I'm better with the older DT's myself but i don't think it will be all that different on the later stuff.

On the older DT there is a type of spring clip. It lives on the inside edge of the kick start gear and it stops it spinning just enough to make it engage with the idler to start the engine.

Have a look here, http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-dt175h-1981_model8795/partslist/B-05.html

I know its not a perfect diagram but you are looking at item 3 not being in position or missing at a guess. I'm better with the older DT's myself but i don't think it will be all that different on the later stuff.

Thanks for that, now you mention it, when i first investigated this, i took the cover off and found a piece of a spring clip, semi circle at the bottom of the crank case. Also, the spur gear does come off the back of that shaft. Judging from the diagram, the clip no.3 should be the last thing on that shaft right? in where the groove is, so therefore, it would retain the spur right? Thats what i need, THANKS!

Thanks for that, now you mention it, when i first investigated this, i took the cover off and found a piece of a spring clip, semi circle at the bottom of the crank case. Also, the spur gear does come off the back of that shaft. Judging from the diagram, the clip no.3 should be the last thing on that shaft right? in where the groove is, so therefore, it would retain the spur right? Thats what i need, THANKS!

No problem, don't forget that drwg is for a bike older than yours, you will need to check for the proper part and it will be slightly different to what i put up but it will do the same job.

Yeah, im gonna check with the bike shop tomorow. Ive printed off the pics and have marked the parts i need and have faxed it to them, ill ring up and get him to compare it with their system. Im basically gonna buy whatever clips/spacers are on either side of that spur gear, in other words, No.3, 4, and 5 if they all exists on my model.