starting problem

mick1950
This post is 5316 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I am new to the YOC and I have a shaft driven,1980 XS750 SE US CUSTOM....it`s in really good nick and i luv it. Got my license in `68 and have not ridden since `70 but have now been riding again for 3 months...her in doors ain`t happy though..but a man`s gotta do etc!! I am not very techy but able to do basic stuff, however, I have 2 clever biker mates who help me out. Right, now to my problem......it starts fine (electronic)and I keep the battery on constant trickle charge (optimser). If I travel a short distance (say upto 3 miles) turn off the machine...it will start again with no probs. If I travel further (say 15 miles) it will not start again (unless bumped) but will then start perfectly when everything has cooled down. Any ideas? Cheers, Mick.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

no.....choke def,def off....i`m not quite geriatric yet!! it turns over but does so like the battery is flat and as i have said....it starts fine when everything has cooled down but that takes at least an hour or so! the battery was purchased last year and the tester is telling me it`s holding it`s charge. cheers for the reply and thanks for the welcome.

no.....choke def,def off....i`m not quite geriatric yet!! it turns over but does so like the battery is flat and as i have said....it starts fine when everything has cooled down but that takes at least an hour or so! the battery was purchased last year and the tester is telling me it`s holding it`s charge. cheers for the reply and thanks for the welcome.

How about either a bad earth, that goes high resistance when its hot, or maybe the starter relay is not working properly when hot, or I guess it might be the starter motor itself, if the coils are braking down when they get hot..

You say it starts from a bump... will it start with a jump start? if it did then that might point to the battery

Start with the cheap stuff first... earths and move forward from there...

How about either a bad earth, that goes high resistance when its hot, or maybe the starter relay is not working properly when hot, or I guess it might be the starter motor itself, if the coils are braking down when they get hot..

You say it starts from a bump... will it start with a jump start? if it did then that might point to the battery

Start with the cheap stuff first... earths and move forward from there...

Sounds like the starter relay/solenoid to me, as a way of eliminating it try bridging it with a jump lead when its mis-behaving. This is of course depends on whether it has two pillars (connections)