Need help, can't get forks apart

cegan09
This post is 5301 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm trying to get my forks apart to replace the seals, and i can't get the hex bolts at the bottom out. I have the top caps off, springs out, oil drained. But the hex bolts won't budge. anyone have any ideas to get them loose? (i'm assuming they are normal right hand threads, manual doesn't say they aren't.) I really don't want to strip them.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm trying to get my forks apart to replace the seals, and i can't get the hex bolts at the bottom out. I have the top caps off, springs out, oil drained. But the hex bolts won't budge. anyone have any ideas to get them loose? (i'm assuming they are normal right hand threads, manual doesn't say they aren't.) I really don't want to strip them.

thanks

if you've got that far m8-from the top end-you dont need to get the bottom drain screws out :mellow:

I need to replace the seals, not just the oil. So unless i'm missing something, i do have to get the bottom bolts out to allow me to separate the two tubes.

keep the forks and springs together and get your allen key( this fits a bolt underneath the bottom fork leg) and quickly turn the bolt.

If you are lucky it will snap undo, if your unlucky it just turns the "inner bits".

you can try and compress the forks by pushing the top tube against a wall and try turning again!

Failing that, another way is to get a wooden dowel ( 20mm x 500mm I think) chamfer the end by about 5mm around.

you then have to take out the fork spring and whack in the dowel which should engage in a cup lower inside the fork leg (the bolt is holding this in)

grip the dowel and then undo the bolt (it will be very tight)

hope that helps

drewps

I can't get them apart, tried what you suggested, the bolt it just in there too tight. I'm going to have to resign to bringing them to a shop and letting them do it. At least if they strip the bolts they should have the means to extract them anyway. For now i'll fill them and put them back on so i can get it off the jack.

Thank you though, i appreciate the help.

I can't get them apart, tried what you suggested, the bolt it just in there too tight. I'm going to have to resign to bringing them to a shop and letting them do it. At least if they strip the bolts they should have the means to extract them anyway. For now i'll fill them and put them back on so i can get it off the jack.

Thank you though, i appreciate the help.

you need a good allen key and a bar extension to overpower those buggers

I've been thru all this and broom handles etc didn't work for me. The solution was quite simple. View this link to save yourself the pain I endured lol

http://www.aircooledrdclub.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18121&KW=

go to the post dated 24 Aug 09 if you don't want to read all of it

The factory puts these in with Loctite so they can be a pain to remove. Here's what to do. Get an 3/8" air impact gun and an allen socket the size you need. Heat the bolt about a minute with a propane torch. Have someone pull the inner tube out while you pull on the heated end and with the bolt with the impact gun. Sometimes you dont have to pull the forks apart and the bolt will come out. I have also used the fork spring to hold the dampening rod while I remove the bolt.Just turn the fork upside down with the spring in it and mash down while you use the impact. An air powered impact gun is THE way to get that bolt out. Be sure to reapply some Loctite to the bolts when you put them back in and watch for the brass washer under the bolts when they finally come out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online