heated grips on r125

fraz24
This post is 5264 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been given a set of oxford hot grips(new) and having read the fitting instructions the recommend fitting straight to the battery, I'm not sure about this, can they be fitted via the ignition?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Been given a set of oxford hot grips(new) and having read the fitting instructions the recommend fitting straight to the battery, I'm not sure about this, can they be fitted via the ignition?

Thanks

Id recommend following the instructions :D

Thanks

I'd go with using a relay myself which cuts them off when the ig is off.

Newer versions of oxford hotgrips are supposed to shut off if they are inadvertantly left switched on, I think this is when the battery voltage dies down somewhat, Quote their website

"To prevent the battery of the vehicle from being discharged when the engine of the vehicle is turned

off, the Heat Controller has sophisticated software that will automatically switch off all power to

the HOTGRIPS before the battery voltage becomes very low. However, the voltage maybe too low to

restart the vehicle as it is designed to ensure that the battery is not permanently damaged and can

still be recharged. This voltage is set at between 10.5 - 11.0 Volts."

So at worst you will need to bump start your bike, which on a 125 shouldnt be too hard. A relay would be the best way if you can be bothered though.Hotgrips Linky

Newer versions of oxford hotgrips are supposed to shut off if they are inadvertantly left switched on, I think this is when the battery voltage dies down somewhat, Quote their website

"To prevent the battery of the vehicle from being discharged when the engine of the vehicle is turned

off, the Heat Controller has sophisticated software that will automatically switch off all power to

the HOTGRIPS before the battery voltage becomes very low. However, the voltage maybe too low to

restart the vehicle as it is designed to ensure that the battery is not permanently damaged and can

still be recharged. This voltage is set at between 10.5 - 11.0 Volts."

So at worst you will need to bump start your bike, which on a 125 shouldnt be too hard. A relay would be the best way if you can be bothered though.Hotgrips Linky

Thanks for the advice!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the advice!

I've fitted these so they turn off with the ignition. Trouble is they'd turn off when riding if I stopped at a junction or sometimes just at slow speed in traffic. I replaced the battery as it was over 5 years' old but the same thing. I sent the control unit back to the seller who sent me another but I still have the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas? as so far I'm really unhappy with these...

I've fitted these so they turn off with the ignition. Trouble is they'd turn off when riding if I stopped at a junction or sometimes just at slow speed in traffic. I replaced the battery as it was over 5 years' old but the same thing. I sent the control unit back to the seller who sent me another but I still have the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas? as so far I'm really unhappy with these...

It will be the control box switching the grips off because the bike cannot supply enough power at low rpm. Its up to you but i'd sooner the grips cut out than the motor.

It would also mean the undignified experience of bumping the bike if the grips didn't cut in and out, don't look so cool outside the chippy, especially as with all the elecronic whatsits and doodahs on modern bikes there is no gaurantee it will bump with a low battery.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online