retarding ignition timeing to spec dt 175e

steptoe1111
This post is 5342 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys how are you i was just trying to find out how to redard the timeing to spec 1.8mmBTDC for a dt175E/MX. i under stand how to line the piston i can do that easy with a strait edge across the top of the cylinder with the head removed and a feeler gauge but what els is involved? when i did the crank seal on the left i lined the magneto base plate up with the line marks on the uper right hand side and thought nothing more of it until i came across some thing i read in this forum recently, spinning the base plate is this how you alter the timeing if so is it just a case of lineing up the piston to spec then alinging the base plate up with the markers am on the right track thanks guys i couldent of done my rebuild without most of the help you guys thanks heaps shaun :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Shaun, the only true way to find 1.8mm BTDC is by using a dial gauge and stand like this. The stand is made from an old sparkplug so this gives a secure attachment for the dial gauge.

100_1006.jpg

Im curious as to how you are doing this with a feeler gauge and if i'm honest a little sceptical as to its accuracy... ;)

ha ha cool this is what im thinking i can go about this insted of the dial gauge witch i could probly get for mayby 50 60 bucks im not sure what they cost but id rather keep that cash in my pocket im going to get a piece of box section and fit it across the top of the cylinder with the head removed, roughly 8-9 inches long center it in the midle across two of the head studs the dril two holes on each end to slip over two of the studs after that im going to dril a hole in the center of the box section where i think roughly the midle of the piston is then lock it down with some nuts, now if the piston is to low in the cylinder witch i think is the case, the top of the piston wont meet the botem of the flat edge of the clamped box section if it dose i can move the flat egde up and dow on the studs untill they meet to acheive TDC. if not! to get around this im thinking of quicly tack welding a nut over the hole in the center with my little gasless welder witch id be lost with out so i can thread some steel thread trough the nut to meet the top off the piston and then i should be able to find TDC after turning the moter and ajusting the hight of my steel thred untill it just touches the top of the piston then use my feeler gauge to put between the top of the piston and the bottom of my hight ajusterble thread turn the motor to meet it and bingo i should have 1.8BTDC i know this is probably the cave man way of going about it but hey the pyrimids were built with simple tools like this :)

hi paul and everyone , how are you guys, in my last post explaind how i was intending to line up the piston to 1.8BTDC. ive made my tool to do this it took about half an hour to knock to gether, ive included a link to view a photo of it in action here it is

http://yfrog.com/43p7100038j notice ive grinded a point on the end of the thred to make it more acurate and ive added a lock nut to the top to hold it true and ive locked the edges down by sandwiching them with two of the head bolts top en bottom so the whole think is rocksolid and set up just the way ive done in the photo with a feeler gauge ive found works just aswell as a dile gauge and alot cheeper to c ya's

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online