Idle issues, and carb boot question

cegan09
This post is 5389 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, i took some time off working on this bike for sanity's sake. Its not running right still, mostly the idle. It won't idle, at least not below 2k. Even when warm it won't hold an idle below 1800 or so, i can get it to 1500, but it sits there for a few seconds, then dies. This is out riding, not sitting in my driveway. I'll pull up to a red light, try to adjust the idle screw to get it lower than the 2.5k it likes to sit at, and that is the result.

I pulled the carb boots to see if they were cracked and leaking, but i don't think they are. The outside is drying up and has some cracks, but the inside is perfect. So what else could be causing this? I'm really trying to fix this myself, but i'm getting increasingly close to just leaving it with a shop for a week.

On a side note, where do i get replacement carb boots? MikesXS doesn't have the same style, all the ones there have the barbs coming off them for syncing, which i don't need, and won't allow me to put the metal braces back on.

Carb Boot outsides

DSC00121.jpg

Carb boot insides (hard to photograph, even with micro setting)

DSC00124.jpg

metal brace, these are awesome.

DSC00125.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Count me in!

does that mean you're having the same issues? sorry, it's early and i'm not fully awake.

honestly any ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated.

there is 1 here

Part Number 1A8-13596-00-00

DescriptionJOINT,CARBURETOR 2 XS500 76-77 RH

Model XS500 C 1A8

Price $98.45

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online