Headlight

dt250Man
This post is 5393 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. I just bought my second bike which is a xs400 when i went to get it the head light worked only when the bike was on all the other lights still worked blinkers everything with just the key turned to on. But once the guy came and dropped off the bike the head light doesnt work at all. I thought maybe he banged it and it went out. But i just put a new bulb in and still nothing can anyone tell me where the headlight fuse might be? or what they might think made the light not work.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all. I just bought my second bike which is a xs400 when i went to get it the head light worked only when the bike was on all the other lights still worked blinkers everything with just the key turned to on. But once the guy came and dropped off the bike the head light doesnt work at all. I thought maybe he banged it and it went out. But i just put a new bulb in and still nothing can anyone tell me where the headlight fuse might be? or what they might think made the light not work.

not to embarress, you but, you might want to check the Lights On Off switch on the right gauge cluster. If it's on turn it off and see what happens and vice versa, mighta been plugged in wrong when you changed the bulb or something. If that doesn't work, take the headlight out and make sure all the connections are good and the wires are in the plugs in the headlight far enough.

not to embarress, you but, you might want to check the Lights On Off switch on the right gauge cluster. If it's on turn it off and see what happens and vice versa, mighta been plugged in wrong when you changed the bulb or something. If that doesn't work, take the headlight out and make sure all the connections are good and the wires are in the plugs in the headlight far enough.

The only on off switch i have on my bike is to turn the bike on and than the kill switch. I checked and everything is plugged in so thats why i lead to belive my fuse might be blown

2-1.jpg

These are the only relay's i could find, the black one I'm almost certain is the flasher relay. is the silver one a headlight relay?

1.jpg

This is the fuse box underneath the seat, one of the fuse's is broken and just sits there; is that a headlight fuse or something?

One of the leads from the stator goes to a diode that powers up the headlight relay when the bike starts. On my bike the diode was bad. 1.50 from radio shack for a new diode and wholla it worked. The diode was actually shattered in pieces.

If there is no power on the headlight relay when the bike is running either the diode is bad or the third leg of the stator is not powering it (possible bad stator) Measure the AC voltage from all three legs of the stator at the white square connector running up the back of the engine with three white wires in it. SHould be around 60-70 volts between any two leads. Don't touch the probes or you will get a shock.

The diode is wrapped inside the taped harness and is covered in a clear plastic tube.

This system keeps the headlight off until the engine is running to conserve battery power when starting, especially when kick starting.

the fuse box under the seat, on the farthest right hand side of the bike, the clip that holds the fuse is broken(as seen in the picture) ; what is the fuse for? and what color is the headlight relay?

you've got 4 fuses in an old xs400 - one for the Main, and then fuses for Ignition, for Signals, and for the Headlight.

So if you have a dead fuse, and anything at all works, it's not the Main.

If it starts and has working signals, the fuses for the ignition and signals are fine.

So that mangled and missing fuse in the fuse block is likely the reason why the headlight doesn't come on.

Replacing fuse holders is easy enough - I replaced my entire fuse box with new blade style fuses after I had some of the fuse holders snap as I was changing fuses.

you've got 4 fuses in an old xs400 - one for the Main, and then fuses for Ignition, for Signals, and for the Headlight.

So if you have a dead fuse, and anything at all works, it's not the Main.

If it starts and has working signals, the fuses for the ignition and signals are fine.

So that mangled and missing fuse in the fuse block is likely the reason why the headlight doesn't come on.

Replacing fuse holders is easy enough - I replaced my entire fuse box with new blade style fuses after I had some of the fuse holders snap as I was changing fuses.

Thanks for the help Well i replaced the whole fuse thing with a inline fuse and still no luck, One thing i did notice is that the High beam light doesnt come on with i flip the switch up. So im wanting to find this diode and try and replace it. SO IF ANYONE HAS A PIC OR CAN TELL ME WHERE ITS AT PLEASE HELP ME OUT. Thanks to everyone with there help so far.

Got it working guys!!!!!! Im gonna do a little write up on what to check and look for! Thanks for everybody helping but it was the diode that was out! expect a write up anyday!!!! THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

glad you got that sorted. brit xs's don't have relays for lamps!!