5th everywhere?

yoyo199
This post is 5402 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening, looking for a bit of advice. I bought a 09 plate YBR 125 three weeks ago after doing my CBT. I'm getting on with quite well but I'm a little concerned about over reving it. I've done 300 miles but find I'm always in 5th gear. 4th at 30 shows 5k rpm but it feels like the bike is screaming, although it is in the middle of the powerband (if you can call it power!). I'm still running it in and want to look after the motor but I'm also learning as I go along.

Theory test booked for next week and then on to DAS from there (funds allowing!)

Ade

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the owners manual.

It'll probably mention riding at 1/2 throttle for X miles, them 3/4 throttle for X more, or something like that.

Follow that advice while breaking in and then re-examine how it's going.

Evening, looking for a bit of advice. I bought a 09 plate YBR 125 three weeks ago after doing my CBT. I'm getting on with quite well but I'm a little concerned about over reving it. I've done 300 miles but find I'm always in 5th gear. 4th at 30 shows 5k rpm but it feels like the bike is screaming, although it is in the middle of the powerband (if you can call it power!). I'm still running it in and want to look after the motor but I'm also learning as I go along.

Theory test booked for next week and then on to DAS from there (funds allowing!)

Ade

You haven't done your profile but i'm guessing you have a car or have spent a lot of time in one. Now the engine isn't hidden behind steel and plastic and sound proofing you are finding out what an engine really sounds like.

Its quite common, it got me when i went from a 350ypvs to a 4 cylinder 600 as there is a lot more metal crashing about on the 600.

You haven't done your profile but i'm guessing you have a car or have spent a lot of time in one. Now the engine isn't hidden behind steel and plastic and sound proofing you are finding out what an engine really sounds like.

Its quite common, it got me when i went from a 350ypvs to a 4 cylinder 600 as there is a lot more metal crashing about on the 600.

You are quite right, 22yrs driving and yep I guess if I sat 6 inches from the Focus engine it would sound loud too! I'll keep to 5th when cruising and 4th when doing around 30, at least that way I'll have a bit of response from the engine.

Thanks for the feedback,

Ade

Isn't revving the nuts off the engine the only way to get any sort of performance from a 125?

Just enjoy it I'd say.

The manual only says don't run it in the red zone, beyond 10k.

As long as the engine has enough oil and is otherwise in good condition / well maintained, you should be fine.

I red-line mine to 10k in every gear whenever it's feasible to do so - enjoy it! :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online