Electrical Shock from XS400

paultsmith
This post is 5407 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

Well yesterday I was running low on gas, so as I was driving I reached down and turn the petcock from On to Reserve.

But just as I finished doing this I got a huge electrical shock. I am now trying to find out what could cause this. Any thoughts? I might have touched the pickup coil wire when I was turning the petcock, or maybe the spark plug wires.

The spark plug wires are brand new and have new plug caps on them, so I didn't think this would be the problem, but the shock was very strong. Is the pickup coil on top of the cylinder outputing a high voltage too?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your finger was a better ground than the plug with it's small gap/ Might be time to check the plugs and gap. You said all the wires and caps were new so that probably isn't a problem. Maybe the coils need to be grounded a little better, the mounting bolts for the coils usually form the path for the plugs back to the coils.

k, or maybe the spark plug wires.

The spark plug wires are brand new and have new plug caps on them, so I didn't think this would be the problem, but the shock was very strong. Is the pickup coil on top of the cylinder outputing a high voltage too?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Spark plug HT cables are almost definately the problem, HT shocks hurt I know (got the T shirt) theres a hell of a lot of voltage in them. Have a good look round, are the cables secured right and fully home at both ends? Wherever it is it will be the one nearest the petcock.

I took the cap off my sparkie to run on 1 cylinder ( for testing) and the bugger zapped me.

Me being the easiest way to earth

check the caps are screwed on tight and in the HT lead centre.

I can touch my leads with the plugs attached and not get a belt.

Thanks,

I'll recheck all of the wires. It is only intermiten, as I have only been shocked once, and was holding onto the HT wires with out a problem.

Must be a fault somewhere.

I think this may be related to the problem I was having before, when sometimes I would here a puff sound, when I turned on the ignition, I think the coil was discharging or send a high voltage to the spark plug.

Thanks,

sometimes I would here a puff sound, when I turned on the ignition

that'll be foamy in the background :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online