Need help with 1982 400. Intro.

YamaKnight
This post is 5430 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey. New to the club. I just purchased a 1982 Yamaha 400 Maxim for close to nothing and it has a few problems. This is my first bike and I am totally unfamiliar with any mechanics or bikes of any kind.

1) Bike runs really roughly. Previous owner cleans the carbs but believes they need to be rebuilt or replaced. Can I do this myself? I am mechanically inclined and with a good manual I'd be confident (considering the shop wants 200 just to clean and rebuild them.

2) Bike dies when the clutch is engaged. Cuts off. No idea why.

3) Bike dies when put in gear, even with clutch pulled in. No idea why.

4) Bleed caliper(sp?) on front brake is broken. How hard is it to replace this brake? I have a set of parts and tools but am hesitant to to any work myself without a clue as to what is involved.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to riding with your help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey. New to the club. I just purchased a 1982 Yamaha 400 Maxim for close to nothing and it has a few problems. This is my first bike and I am totally unfamiliar with any mechanics or bikes of any kind. I just downloaded the owners manual but was wondering if I could get some help with a few things.

1) Bike runs really roughly. Previous owner cleans the carbs but believes they need to be rebuilt or replaced. Can I do this myself? I am mechanically inclined and with a good manual I'd be confident (considering the shop wants 200 just to clean and rebuild them.

2) Bike dies when the clutch is engaged. Cuts off. No idea why.

3) Bike dies when put in gear, even with clutch pulled in. No idea why.

4) Bleed caliper(sp?) on front brake is broken. How hard is it to replace this brake? I have a set of parts and tools but am hesitant to to any work myself without a clue as to what is involved.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to riding with your help.

Hi, not familiar with model but does it have a side stand switch? If so, disconnect it and short out the connectors with a piece of wire and try again, or check the switch with a multi meter.

...Paul

Hi, new to the forum too.

I'm in the process of cleaning up a 82' maxim with 3500 miles I just bought from a coworker.

1. Save a copy of the online shop manual for your bike. The carbs are pretty simple and with a parts diagram you would have no trouble cleaning them up.

2. Yep it does sound like an electrical issue with the side stand safety switch. Lawyers don't want you riding off with it down.

3. If the bike hasn't ran in a few years the clutch is probably gummed up. Once you get the electrical issue figured out, put the bike on the center stand, start it and put it in first gear. If the rear tire spins with the clutch in, give it a little gas and hit the rear brake. All my old bikes had that problem.

4. I would drill out the old bleeder but get some new seals for the piston so you can take it apart and clean it all out.

I now have to get some tires and a chain to get my bike on the road. My back yard is just too small now :D

Enjoy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online