dt125- please help!

streaky
This post is 5439 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all, i need some help!

i have a 1987 dt125 lc mk 3. the bike has been stripped to bare essentials as it is now a field bike. i have got all the parts needed to get it running but dont know which wires from cdi unit to connect to the ht lead.basically i have a cdi unit with the wires coming out of it, i have a basic ht coil which is a black lead with 2 spade terminals at one end(1 green/1 black) and the other end plugs into a spark plug cap.

which wires do i attach to the ht coil in order to get the spark in which to breathe life to the old girl!

any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all, i need some help!

i have a 1987 dt125 lc mk 3. the bike has been stripped to bare essentials as it is now a field bike. i have got all the parts needed to get it running but dont know which wires from cdi unit to connect to the ht lead.basically i have a cdi unit with the wires coming out of it, i have a basic ht coil which is a black lead with 2 spade terminals at one end(1 green/1 black) and the other end plugs into a spark plug cap.

which wires do i attach to the ht coil in order to get the spark in which to breathe life to the old girl!

any help would be greatly appreciated :D

I asked about the same thing for my Mk1 LC a couple of days ago and no one bothered to help. I had to suss it out myself.

I'm unfamiliar with the Mk3 and have no doubt that the CDI and coil are different, so my method won't really help. A bit of trial and error is needed me thinks.

Is there an orange wire coming out of the CDI? On mine the orange wire connects to the coil.

I asked about the same thing for my Mk1 LC a couple of days ago and no one bothered to help. I had to suss it out myself.

I'm unfamiliar with the Mk3 and have no doubt that the CDI and coil are different, so my method won't really help. A bit of trial and error is needed me thinks.

Is there an orange wire coming out of the CDI? On mine the orange wire connects to the coil.

Guys I'm sorry you were disappointed but I think you are wrong in your assumption that "no one bothered", for some reason all the expertise seems to be with the air cooled bikes at the moment, stick around and become the LC experts yourselves... ;)

..Paul

Baron You posted a problem then told us all you'd fixed it, as for the post about your bore i nearly answerd it yesterday but had to get some kip, I start work at 3. But as far as it goes a 175 piston may fit but you will need to measure up carefully as you obviously have a 175 big bore on that bike.

Right streaky sorry about that i have a thing about high horses.

If you could post the wires that you have at the cdi we can probably work it through, Yamaha are as reluctant to spend as anybody else so if it works they leave well alone and back when your bike was a lad looks were all important so as the loom is not important to the look of the bike it is more than likely a quick upgrade on the old stuff.

Guys I'm sorry you were disappointed but I think you are wrong in your assumption that "no one bothered", for some reason all the expertise seems to be with the air cooled bikes at the moment, stick around and become the LC experts yourselves... ;)

Baron You posted a problem then told us all you'd fixed it, as for the post about your bore i nearly answerd it yesterday but had to get some kip, I start work at 3. But as far as it goes a 175 piston may fit but you will need to measure up carefully as you obviously have a 175 big bore on that bike.

:offtopic:

Sorry if I came across a bit pissy chaps, I'd spent all day in the shed wrapping my knuckles, grinding my teeth and swearing a lot.

Thanks for the info, Cynic.

Oh, and sorry for hijacking your thread streaky. ;)

Right streaky sorry about that i have a thing about high horses.

If you could post the wires that you have at the cdi we can probably work it through, Yamaha are as reluctant to spend as anybody else so if it works they leave well alone and back when your bike was a lad looks were all important so as the loom is not important to the look of the bike it is more than likely a quick upgrade on the old stuff.

thanks for taking the time guys,right...........

i will take a pic and post shortly.

i do have an orange wire which i figured went to the coil............. stand buy for more on this matter.

:D:D:D

Here's a photo of what I have here. (Click for full size)

electricsv.th.jpg

The wires with the connecting blocks are from the stator.

Here's a wiring diagram for the Mk1, I don't know how much use it will be though.

dt125lcmk1wiring.th.jpg

Yep thought so, an evolution of the aircooled stuff. The colours match the older stuff perfectly. Works differently but that is of no interest for this purpose. Cannot see the MK3 being much more than another evoloution.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online