More carb questions !!

This post is 5445 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry, more carb questions. I'm converting my DT125MX 1982 with the barrel, head, carb etc from a 1978 DT175MX. The bloke I bought them of swears that the carb is correct and original but I can't find it in the manuals! its a mikuni, stamped 4L100. The carb looks quite a bit bigger than the 125's and when I Googled the number it came up as a VM26. Right so here are my questions :-

Have VM26's ever been fitted to the 175's ?

Would they work on a 175 (overbored to + 1.50)?

Could the 125 carb work on the 175 engine?

Can I buy the correct carb anywhere if the answers to the above are negative?

Also how do I check if it is a VM26 and confirm the Google info, I presume the '26' is a measurement in mm, but where is it measured?

I got the lot for £51 so can't really complain if the carb is wrong, but don't want to wait 6 months for the correct one to turn up on ebay.

Thanks Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry, more carb questions. I'm converting my DT125MX 1982 with the barrel, head, carb etc from a 1978 DT175MX. The bloke I bought them of swears that the carb is correct and original but I can't find it in the manuals! its a mikuni, stamped 4L100. The carb looks quite a bit bigger than the 125's and when I Googled the number it came up as a VM26. Right so here are my questions :-

1)Have VM26's ever been fitted to the 175's ?

2)Would they work on a 175 (overbored to + 1.50)?

3)Could the 125 carb work on the 175 engine?

4)Can I buy the correct carb anywhere if the answers to the above are negative?

5)Also how do I check if it is a VM26 and confirm the Google info, I presume the '26' is a measurement in mm, but where is it measured?

I got the lot for £51 so can't really complain if the carb is wrong, but don't want to wait 6 months for the correct one to turn up on ebay.

Thanks Phil

RD 250LC

VM26SS

(4L100)

Main jet=190

Needle jet=O-6

Jet needle=4N10

Needle jet position?

idle jet=20

Slide cutout=2

Air screw(turns out=)1½

Float=21 ± 0.5 mm

First question 1, no not by yamaha.

2) Yes if jetted properly and not like its original configuration above.

3) Yes if jetted properly, you may be VERY slightly down on power but the smaller carb will increace torque.

4) Yes i think a member called oldgitonabike could be very intrested in a swap.

5) Its the internal venturi diameter, its awquard to check accurately so prob best to trust to the id no for now.

Some carb info Here

Whatever you do, do not but a repair kit unless you check its contents for sizes (jets etc). I nearly fell into this trap but was put right by the experts on the forum.

RD 250LC

VM26SS

(4L100)

Main jet=190

Needle jet=O-6

Jet needle=4N10

Needle jet position?

idle jet=20

Slide cutout=2

Air screw(turns out=)1½

Float=21 ± 0.5 mm

First question 1, no not by yamaha.

2) Yes if jetted properly and not like its original configuration above.

3) Yes if jetted properly, you may be VERY slightly down on power but the smaller carb will increace torque.

4) Yes i think a member called oldgitonabike could be very intrested in a swap.

5) Its the internal venturi diameter, its awquard to check accurately so prob best to trust to the id no for now.

Hi, thanks for the responses, this carb has a jet needle 4J13 and then 3or5 but is slightly bent and I think a 150 main jet, the slide cut out is 2, the carb is generally in good condition. I would do a swap if oldgitonabike wants it and has the right one to swap?

More torque would also be good if you know where to start with the jetting for the VM22SS, torque is always better than power to my mind which is why my other bike is a Guzzi, when it got really twisty in the Pyrannies my mate on his brand new Tiger couldn't keep up and I left him for dead, and the Triumphs not short of torque! That said I also love the DT when it comes into the powerband and starts screaching !!!!

Hi Phil, I got fixed up and dont need the LC carb now. I do have a good DT175MX carb I might sell though.

Hi, yep I'm interested,

Does anyone want an 250LC carb that just needs correct needle and jets?

Phil

Hi, yep I'm interested,

Does anyone want an 250LC carb that just needs correct needle and jets?

Phil

Hello..... thank you.......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online