Are they taking the mick?

Rayne
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Rayne,

The process starts .... Andy Smith replied I would guess things should move on at a faster pace now.

Regards Jim

Hope so Jim. Will keep you up to date as to whats going on.

Hopefully it can be resolved soon and I can stop going on about it. :D

I do value the opinions though BUT I am the stage were I think I should have purchased the XT125 as it looks much less complicated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope so Jim. Will keep you up to date as to whats going on.

Hopefully it can be resolved soon and I can stop going on about it. :D

I do value the opinions though BUT I am the stage were I think I should have purchased the XT125 as it looks much less complicated.

Hi Rayne,

hang on in there ... you may find that the resolution is that Yamaha send one of there own techs down to fix the bike at the dealers ... this is 2 fold ..... 1) Customer appeasment 2) training course for the dealers mechanics

Regards Jim

Hi Rayne,

hang on in there ... you may find that the resolution is that Yamaha send one of there own techs down to fix the bike at the dealers ... this is 2 fold ..... 1) Customer appeasment 2) training course for the dealers mechanics

Regards Jim

Maybe so Jim but that means that I am out of pocket and with out a bike....again.

Catch 22 isnt it :D

Maybe so Jim but that means that I am out of pocket and with out a bike....again.

Catch 22 isnt it :D

Hi Rayne,

if they do the bikes down time will be one day

Regards Jim

Hi Rayne,

if they do the bikes down time will be one day

Regards Jim

So if it only takes a day down time then why did it take them four and a half weeks? :D:D:D

Still nothing back since the acknowledgment from the Yamaha MD and I'm growing a little impatient. Surely, in the world of emails and telephones, they could investigate in days rather than weeks? They only need to work out what parts were ordered, when they were delivered, why it took so long and what work was actually carried out. Not rocket science is it :D

I received a letter from YMUK today from a Nick Girling, Manager, service Department. This is what it said:

We thanks you for your letter regarding your Yamaha YZF-R125 which Andrew Smith, the YMUK Managing Director has asked me to look into the circumstances of and respond to, on behalf of the company.

We do of course understand the disappointment of any Yamaha owner who experiences problems and their frustration, while awaiting any necessary repair to take place.

Clearly however, before any such matters can be resolved, the problem needs to be diagnosed by a dealer, any necessary parts ordered and supplied and all the time there will be the need to schedule any tasks into their workload and at busy times of the year, with long lead times, this is not always easy.

In this particular case, we understand that it was about a week before Bill Smith Motors were in a position to submit the first warranty claim for a new cylinder head and associated parts, all of which were available for despatch within three working days.

Unfortunately, once the scheduled repair had been started it was found that further parts were required, necessitating a second warranty claim on the 12th June for a crankshaft and miscellaneous other parts, all of which were available for immediate despatch to the dealer.

We would expect any Yamaha dealer to be able to undertake a warrantable repair, irrespective of whether it was on a machine they originally supplied. We do however, understand that any point in time, a dealer is liable to be already committed to the service and repairs of their owner’s machines and in such circumstances, it may be considered unreasonable to expect them to disappoint all those customers and give priority to a machine purchased elsewhere.

With regards to the performance of your machine and the operation of the side stand switch, we understand that Bill Smith’s have no reference on their job card as to there being an issue. Nevertheless, if you wish to book your machine in with them again, they would be happy to investigate any concern you may have.

We would suggest that having just completed an engine rebuild it would not in any event have been appropriate for Bill Smith Motors to be testing your machine’s maximum performance when last with them.

In closing, we trust that any outstanding concern may be addressed through Bill Smith motors. Alternatively, if you wish to approach another authorised Yamaha dealer, they are equally able to handle any issues you YZF-R125. “

So, what to make of that? So, if you buy a car in Scotland, move to London and you want quick issues sorted quickly, take it back to Scotland?

Well sorry Mr Girling that is not a satisfactory response. All that tells me is that you have no control over your dealerships. Dealers will do as they please and there is nothing you can do about it. You couldn’t give a toss for your customers and you find it perfectly acceptable for Directors of you Dealerships to say to customers “…. If you feel we are not dealing with this to your satisfaction we have no problem if you want to arrange collection of the motorcycle and take it to the supplying dealer who is responsible for your warranty”. Si it seems that YMUK and Smith’s are not singing from the same Hymn sheet so to speak. Presumably, the bike was in pieces on a bench as the email was dated 12th June 2009. Excellent customer service………NOT

Comments appreciated.

I received a letter from YMUK today from a Nick Girling, Manager, service Department. This is what it said:

We thanks you for your letter regarding your Yamaha YZF-R125 which Andrew Smith, the YMUK Managing Director has asked me to look into the circumstances of and respond to, on behalf of the company.

We do of course understand the disappointment of any Yamaha owner who experiences problems and their frustration, while awaiting any necessary repair to take place.

Clearly however, before any such matters can be resolved, the problem needs to be diagnosed by a dealer, any necessary parts ordered and supplied and all the time there will be the need to schedule any tasks into their workload and at busy times of the year, with long lead times, this is not always easy.

In this particular case, we understand that it was about a week before Bill Smith Motors were in a position to submit the first warranty claim for a new cylinder head and associated parts, all of which were available for despatch within three working days.

Unfortunately, once the scheduled repair had been started it was found that further parts were required, necessitating a second warranty claim on the 12th June for a crankshaft and miscellaneous other parts, all of which were available for immediate despatch to the dealer.

We would expect any Yamaha dealer to be able to undertake a warrantable repair, irrespective of whether it was on a machine they originally supplied. We do however, understand that any point in time, a dealer is liable to be already committed to the service and repairs of their owner’s machines and in such circumstances, it may be considered unreasonable to expect them to disappoint all those customers and give priority to a machine purchased elsewhere.

With regards to the performance of your machine and the operation of the side stand switch, we understand that Bill Smith’s have no reference on their job card as to there being an issue. Nevertheless, if you wish to book your machine in with them again, they would be happy to investigate any concern you may have.

We would suggest that having just completed an engine rebuild it would not in any event have been appropriate for Bill Smith Motors to be testing your machine’s maximum performance when last with them.

In closing, we trust that any outstanding concern may be addressed through Bill Smith motors. Alternatively, if you wish to approach another authorised Yamaha dealer, they are equally able to handle any issues you YZF-R125. “

So, what to make of that? So, if you buy a car in Scotland, move to London and you want quick issues sorted quickly, take it back to Scotland?

Well sorry Mr Girling that is not a satisfactory response. All that tells me is that you have no control over your dealerships. Dealers will do as they please and there is nothing you can do about it. You couldn’t give a toss for your customers and you find it perfectly acceptable for Directors of you Dealerships to say to customers “…. If you feel we are not dealing with this to your satisfaction we have no problem if you want to arrange collection of the motorcycle and take it to the supplying dealer who is responsible for your warranty”. Si it seems that YMUK and Smith’s are not singing from the same Hymn sheet so to speak. Presumably, the bike was in pieces on a bench as the email was dated 12th June 2009. Excellent customer service………NOT

Comments appreciated.

I would say take it to another dealership explain the problems with it and get there opinion on the bike, until you get a 2nd opinion your probably not really gonna get anywhere I know u don't wanna be without the bike but u have a problem with it and u may find there much more helpful? My point is they have probably spoke to Bill Smith Motors and got told nope nothing wrong with the bike now guy is just shouting for nothing so you prove it to them that there is a problem, personally my R125 has just done of 1500 miles and even on a relatively straight flattish road it seems happy to go to about 60-65 but anything else feels like its being pushed

Thanks for your comment Alex. It does seem that the YZF R125 is vastly over rated by Yamaha. I have spoken to other owners who all say the same that it struggles for top end.

The main problem for me is the level of service...... absolutely crap in my opinion. YMUK have no control or influence over their dealers. In fact they seem to be afraid of them! My nephew has a Chinese 125 that can actually outstrip it on top end. Considering that these bikes are close to £4K to buy new, the warranty appears to be a big joke.

Warranty claims must be made through a Yamaha dealer. If you have not purchased the bike from that dealer then they can do as they please and YMUK can’t or won’t do anything about it. I have contacted trading standards, watchdog and the national press in the hope that other people don’t get into the same situation as me. Four and a half weeks is a ridiculous amount of time to wait and then YMUK seem to appear happy with it?

I will wait until this has run its course and dispose of the bike ASAP. I will not recommend Yamaha to anyone and will take every opportunity to inform bikers of the pit falls of both YMUK and the dealer involved.

Thanks for your comment Alex. It does seem that the YZF R125 is vastly over rated by Yamaha. I have spoken to other owners who all say the same that it struggles for top end.

The main problem for me is the level of service...... absolutely crap in my opinion. YMUK have no control or influence over their dealers. In fact they seem to be afraid of them! My nephew has a Chinese 125 that can actually outstrip it on top end. Considering that these bikes are close to £4K to buy new, the warranty appears to be a big joke.

Warranty claims must be made through a Yamaha dealer. If you have not purchased the bike from that dealer then they can do as they please and YMUK can’t or won’t do anything about it. I have contacted trading standards, watchdog and the national press in the hope that other people don’t get into the same situation as me. Four and a half weeks is a ridiculous amount of time to wait and then YMUK seem to appear happy with it?

I will wait until this has run its course and dispose of the bike ASAP. I will not recommend Yamaha to anyone and will take every opportunity to inform bikers of the pit falls of both YMUK and the dealer involved.

Hi Rayne,

do I understand from this you bought the bike 'out of your area' and then took it to a local dealer to fix it ? I could see some animosity from the repairing dealer ... I.E look after those (due to the hard times) who look after us then do the other shops repairs later as their customers may come back again & keep them going. It was true Yamaha pay the labour content to the the repairing dealer, and the job may produce income for that shop , but by the same token they would like to put their customers first (the guys who kept that shop running), if you take that repair space, take into account if the shop had gone under you would have had to transport the bike further for the repair to be effected and as I guess you know transport to a repairing agent is down to you ! But as I have done repairs as a non selling agent I found the customer tended to be a bit aloof and tbh if someone spent 4k on the bike with me I would pull the stops out to repair it the others will have to que so did you bike out of town ?

Regards Jim

Hi Rayne,

do I understand from this you bought the bike 'out of your area' and then took it to a local dealer to fix it ? I could see some animosity from the repairing dealer ... I.E look after those (due to the hard times) who look after us then do the other shops repairs later as their customers may come back again & keep them going. It was true Yamaha pay the labour content to the the repairing dealer, and the job may produce income for that shop , but by the same token they would like to put their customers first (the guys who kept that shop running), if you take that repair space, take into account if the shop had gone under you would have had to transport the bike further for the repair to be effected and as I guess you know transport to a repairing agent is down to you ! But as I have done repairs as a non selling agent I found the customer tended to be a bit aloof and tbh if someone spent 4k on the bike with me I would pull the stops out to repair it the others will have to que so did you bike out of town ?

Regards Jim

Yes Jim. The bike was purchased from another dealer out of area as Smith's could not supply the colour I wanted. I did not hear them moaning about it not being purchased from them when I had the servcie done there. you can not have your cake and eat it so to speak. This was a warranty claim. It states in the warranty that you must take it to a Yanaha dealer. Bill Smith's inspected the bike, were quite happy to accpet the work (thus entering into a contract) but decided that I was to wait, they would do the work at their own pace and if I did not like it I could collect the bike and take it else were. Excellent customer services.....NOT!!

The YMUK accept their amswer and say sod the customer.....again...very poor customer servcie. I know not of any other company who would treat a customer so badly.

We, as a family, have used Bill Smiths for many years. We, along with many others, will not be returning. We will aslo not be purcahsing Yamaha again either as the response from them was extremely on the side of the dealer.

Yes Jim. The bike was purchased from another dealer out of area as Smith's could not supply the colour I wanted. I did not hear them moaning about it not being purchased from them when I had the servcie done there. you can not have your cake and eat it so to speak. This was a warranty claim. It states in the warranty that you must take it to a Yanaha dealer. Bill Smith's inspected the bike, were quite happy to accpet the work (thus entering into a contract) but decided that I was to wait, they would do the work at their own pace and if I did not like it I could collect the bike and take it else were. Excellent customer services.....NOT!!

The YMUK accept their amswer and say sod the customer.....again...very poor customer servcie. I know not of any other company who would treat a customer so badly.

We, as a family, have used Bill Smiths for many years. We, along with many others, will not be returning. We will aslo not be purcahsing Yamaha again either as the response from them was extremely on the side of the dealer.

I cannot believe I've sat and read through this , yes its been disapointing,yes it could have been handle better. but for gods sake get over it, an engine knock can be difficult to diagnose, do you completely strip an engine and measure every single part? this would be ideal if someone is paying for it. from what I've read the dealer found a problem with the head Ureaka! new head fitted start bike noise still there, Bummer strip motor find crank is stuffed,order new crank and associated parts rebuild when they arrive. if the dealer stripped the complete engine measure all the parts and found just the head was at fault, they can only claim for the head repair, down about 16 hours at a reduced rate. Yamaha will only cover your cost you cannot make a profit from them on warranty repairs as you didnot by your bike from them and then got aggressive quoting trading standards I can understand why they stopped the repair

Sorry if this isn't what you want hear

I cannot believe I've sat and read through this , yes its been disapointing,yes it could have been handle better. but for gods sake get over it, an engine knock can be difficult to diagnose, do you completely strip an engine and measure every single part? this would be ideal if someone is paying for it. from what I've read the dealer found a problem with the head Ureaka! new head fitted start bike noise still there, Bummer strip motor find crank is stuffed,order new crank and associated parts rebuild when they arrive. if the dealer stripped the complete engine measure all the parts and found just the head was at fault, they can only claim for the head repair, down about 16 hours at a reduced rate. Yamaha will only cover your cost you cannot make a profit from them on warranty repairs as you didnot by your bike from them and then got aggressive quoting trading standards I can understand why they stopped the repair

Sorry if this isn't what you want hear

No worries, Everyone is entitled to an opinion..... mine just doesnt agree with yours :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online