Are they taking the mick?

Rayne
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, it developed a bit of what I can only describe as a slight knocking sound. I know it doesn’t have tappets but it was akin to that (similar to an old car when the tappets are goosed). The side stand switch stopped working and the bike lacked power on the top end. It could accelerate but once it reached 58 or 59 MPH it would not go any faster unless it was down hill. It would (and still will) only reach nearly 70 mph on a long steep hill.

The dealer tells me it had a new crank and head and all that goes with that. They were not very helpful when I picked the bike up so I am unsure as to exactly what the problem was.

The bike was ridable but sluggish before I took it to the dealer for inspection. Now the bike is ridable, still sluggish and a bit grindy (?). The side stand switch does not work still.

So, what do you think Jim?

What annoys the most is the fact that the build quality is second to none and the aesthetics are superb. I don’t know if I was just unlucky and got a bad bike or the fact that the length of time it took to fix has made me very bitter or are they susceptible to breaking down a lot? They are by far the best looking 125 I have ever seen but now feel as though my money has been wasted. I bought Yamaha for the reliability factor as well s the looks and size of the bike.

These bikes are not cheap compared to bigger bikes and you would expect the odd one to be a little off. Having said that, if it required that much work to be carried out after less than 2000 miles and very carefully ridden, it does not fill me with confidence for the future and would think extremely hard before recommending them to anyone else.

hi i have just passed my cbt and my dad promised me a yzf r125 if i did

we have been following this for a while and now he says he wont buy me one because they seem to break a lot.

im a tall girl and can handle one of these quite handy but dad says i have to have a honda cbr 125 now

i really wanted the r125 but i suppose it makes sense if they are rubbish and break down after a few thousand miles

such a shame as i luv the look and feel of a big bike

i hope you can sort out the problems but they have lost a sale from me

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it developed a bit of what I can only describe as a slight knocking sound. I know it doesn’t have tappets but it was akin to that (similar to an old car when the tappets are goosed). The side stand switch stopped working and the bike lacked power on the top end. It could accelerate but once it reached 58 or 59 MPH it would not go any faster unless it was down hill. It would (and still will) only reach nearly 70 mph on a long steep hill.

The dealer tells me it had a new crank and head and all that goes with that. They were not very helpful when I picked the bike up so I am unsure as to exactly what the problem was.

The bike was ridable but sluggish before I took it to the dealer for inspection. Now the bike is ridable, still sluggish and a bit grindy (?). The side stand switch does not work still.

So, what do you think Jim?

What annoys the most is the fact that the build quality is second to none and the aesthetics are superb. I don’t know if I was just unlucky and got a bad bike or the fact that the length of time it took to fix has made me very bitter or are they susceptible to breaking down a lot? They are by far the best looking 125 I have ever seen but now feel as though my money has been wasted. I bought Yamaha for the reliability factor as well s the looks and size of the bike.

These bikes are not cheap compared to bigger bikes and you would expect the odd one to be a little off. Having said that, if it required that much work to be carried out after less than 2000 miles and very carefully ridden, it does not fill me with confidence for the future and would think extremely hard before recommending them to anyone else.

Hi Rayne,

that I'm affraid does not give me much to go on as to the failure. How many miles have you now done since the rebuild ? It would be good to get a copy of the claim form as in my day you had to stipulate the componet failure then list the other parts as being caused by the major part failing. I still feel it is dealer at fault here perhaps it may be worth taking the bike to a different outlet to see if the diagnosis is the same. From what I have read the bike has a good reliability record. Sorry I cannot be more help but given more info perhaps I could

Regards Jim

Hi Rayne,

that I'm affraid does not give me much to go on as to the failure. How many miles have you now done since the rebuild ? It would be good to get a copy of the claim form as in my day you had to stipulate the componet failure then list the other parts as being caused by the major part failing. I still feel it is dealer at fault here perhaps it may be worth taking the bike to a different outlet to see if the diagnosis is the same. From what I have read the bike has a good reliability record. Sorry I cannot be more help but given more info perhaps I could

Regards Jim

Thats all I can tell you at the moment Jim. The air at the dealership was a little bit frosty and not a lot of words were spoken. I was annoyed to say the least at all the delays and I do not think that me being in the shop was appreciated.

I dont really want to take the bike to another dealer as it is miles away, could take god knows how long and I could be without my bike again. Plus, if I go messing with it, it could weaken my case.

Still waiting on something from yamaha. Again, very very slow!!

This topic is sure getting some watches isn't it.

Thats all I can tell you at the moment Jim. The air at the dealership was a little bit frosty and not a lot of words were spoken. I was annoyed to say the least at all the delays and I do not think that me being in the shop was appreciated.

I dont really want to take the bike to another dealer as it is miles away, could take god knows how long and I could be without my bike again. Plus, if I go messing with it, it could weaken my case.

Still waiting on something from yamaha. Again, very very slow!!

This topic is sure getting some watches isn't it.

Hi Rayne,

it's always good to get a second opinion you may find a technician at another shop (may be better trained) and pick up something the original missed. tbh I have done that in the 80's & tbh I've missed stuff that others have picked up and vice versa ). With regard to weaking your case I think not .. remember YMUK's dealers are their touch point with the consumers & not YMUK ... unless things go wrong. I would guess YMUK would not worry as to which dealer did the repair as long as it is done correctly you may find that another dealer may 'lend' you a bike if yours is off the road in order to have repeat biz from you whether that be service or new sales but reading throgh the comments you have posted I would guess you are upset with your failure ... it happens to all machines .... and perhaps have taken the wrong tact with YMUK as tbh they will investigate to the point they are satisfied with perhaps some dealer penalties

Regards Jim

Should the dealer location be named on here ?, we too readily accept poor service in this country and why should we !

cast your votes

name them :thumb:

dont name them :thumbdown:

My vote for what its worth

My vote for what its worth

Hi Jim,

I would guess it's not a good idea ..... until it's sorted ... but a question I have for you is how do you fuel up the BF ? to me it looks well dodgy ! :lol:

Regards Jim

Quote: JimR,,, but a question I have for you is how do you fuel up the BF ? to me it looks well dodgy !

After I bought old Angus I sought some advice from a Farmer type :farmerjohn: ,

I asked him "so what do the local cows get by on then John"?

so every day after work I give him his bottle of 'Diamond white', and 10 fags

I drew the line at the fake tan though, I dont think it would have shown up against his hair colour :mellow:

HS3.jpg

Quote: JimR,,, but a question I have for you is how do you fuel up the BF ? to me it looks well dodgy !

After I bought old Angus I sought some advice from a Farmer type :farmerjohn: ,

I asked him "so what do the local cows get by on then John"?

so every day after work I give him his bottle of 'Diamond white', and 10 fags

I drew the line at the fake tan though, I dont think it would have shown up against his hair colour :mellow:

HS3.jpg

coo

it fuels up on simular to me replace the Diamond White with "THE BOW" and I'm sure that will work for most ... how does the BF handle ?

Regards Jim

coo

it fuels up on simular to me replace the Diamond White with "THE BOW" and I'm sure that will work for most ... how does the BF handle ?

Regards Jim

Handles like a cow Jimbow :)

Handles like a cow Jimbow :)

Hi Jim

I guess we r now :offtopic: but can you explain how to ride a cow .. like how do you get them in the mood for riding ? and I guess you need to be of a riding weight ! :D

Regards Jim

....can you explain how to ride a cow ..

Sneak up on it from behind, grab it by the horns and get one of its hoofs down each welly!!

Sneak up on it from behind, grab it by the horns and get one of its hoofs down each welly!!

3 bottles of 'Diamond white' first, 10 fags for after :rolleyes: , like Baden Powell once said- "one teapot of gin meinhost" :lol:

Hi Rayne,

it's always good to get a second opinion you may find a technician at another shop (may be better trained) and pick up something the original missed. tbh I have done that in the 80's & tbh I've missed stuff that others have picked up and vice versa ). With regard to weaking your case I think not .. remember YMUK's dealers are their touch point with the consumers & not YMUK ... unless things go wrong. I would guess YMUK would not worry as to which dealer did the repair as long as it is done correctly you may find that another dealer may 'lend' you a bike if yours is off the road in order to have repeat biz from you whether that be service or new sales but reading throgh the comments you have posted I would guess you are upset with your failure ... it happens to all machines .... and perhaps have taken the wrong tact with YMUK as tbh they will investigate to the point they are satisfied with perhaps some dealer penalties

Regards Jim

We apologise for the long winded interruption in transmission :no: , due to some technical difficulty that our briiiilllliiiiaaaaannnnttt engineers :rolleyes: have now fixed :icon_arrowl::headscratch::sorry::icon_arrowu::buzz::thumb: , we can now go back to the programme, as advertised :huh::icon_arrowd:

We apologise for the long winded interruption in transmission :no: , due to some technical difficulty that our briiiilllliiiiaaaaannnnttt engineers :rolleyes: have now fixed :icon_arrowl::headscratch::sorry::icon_arrowu::buzz::thumb: , we can now go back to the programme, as advertised :huh::icon_arrowd:

I guess you've bin on 'the bow' or what ever is local to u <grin> had to use that as you used all the icons up

Regards Jim

I guess you've bin on 'the bow' or what ever is local to u <grin> had to use that as you used all the icons up

Regards Jim

Thats OK chaps. Always admire a good bit of off topic banter :D

I have just been reading through this and would just like to say to Jen that not all Yamaha's are bad or not all Yamaha dealers are as bad as the one I have recently had dealings with. Get back on to your dad.

Moan at him until he comes round. There is nothing wrong with the CBR 125 but compared to the R125 there is no competition..... well... when they work Ok anyway! :rolleyes:

Thats OK chaps. Always admire a good bit of off topic banter :D

I have just been reading through this and would just like to say to Jen that not all Yamaha's are bad or not all Yamaha dealers are as bad as the one I have recently had dealings with. Get back on to your dad.

Moan at him until he comes round. There is nothing wrong with the CBR 125 but compared to the R125 there is no competition..... well... when they work Ok anyway! :rolleyes:

I guess I have lost the plot I'm still waiting for the load down on your failure which may make sense of what went wrong please add those points !

Regards Jim

I guess I have lost the plot I'm still waiting for the load down on your failure which may make sense of what went wrong please add those points !

Regards Jim

All I can tell you Jim is that the bike developed an engine knock....sort of sounding like when tappets need doing on an old car. When you came to a stop you could hear it more. The side stand switch wasnt working and it struggled to reach 65 or so even down hill.

They inspected the bike and said there was a problem and to bring the bike back and they would do a further inspection and order the parts and fit them. When I picked the bike up (after four and a half weeks) all I got out of the manager was that it had a new crank and head. They had quoted a wood ruff key was on order but other than that they never told me anything else.

The side stand switch still does not work, ts still struggling for top end power and no one will tell me why it took so long, what exactly was replaced, when the parts were ordered, when they were delivered and why, that a bike less than a year old can have so many problems when it had done less than 2000 miles.

Still waiting for a reply from yamaha. If it is not forth coming shortly then I really am going to go off on one. I will not be ignored and I want answers.

All I can tell you Jim is that the bike developed an engine knock....sort of sounding like when tappets need doing on an old car. When you came to a stop you could hear it more. The side stand switch wasnt working and it struggled to reach 65 or so even down hill.

They inspected the bike and said there was a problem and to bring the bike back and they would do a further inspection and order the parts and fit them. When I picked the bike up (after four and a half weeks) all I got out of the manager was that it had a new crank and head. They had quoted a wood ruff key was on order but other than that they never told me anything else.

The side stand switch still does not work, ts still struggling for top end power and no one will tell me why it took so long, what exactly was replaced, when the parts were ordered, when they were delivered and why, that a bike less than a year old can have so many problems when it had done less than 2000 miles.

Still waiting for a reply from yamaha. If it is not forth coming shortly then I really am going to go off on one. I will not be ignored and I want answers.

Hi Rayne,

don't forget what i said earlier YMUK will wait for a reply from the dealer before replying to you which I guess is fair (to get both sides of the problem. Was the Woodruff key the major failure ? Which if it was it would throw the ignition timing to pot & in turn distroy part of the crankshaft. To take this a stage further could the woodruff key shearing and floating around in the engine distroy the cam chain lower drive sprocket (this would take seconds) and in turn distroy the cylinder head and its componet parts and I would guess distroy the cylinder & piston (as the valves get bent and hit the piston and or the bore). If the engine still rattles and lacks performance perhaps the person who rebuilt the engine got the valve timing wrong (which would give a rattle from the top end of the engine and a loss of performance if the timing is set in one way if set the other way it wouldn't run). With the problem you have had I can see why ur upset ... i.e a new engine that has to be rebuilt and tbh I would be annoyed .. but to hit the old chestnut I would guess a dealer fault on the engine problem. which leads me on to the faulty stand switch which should have been a different claim and should have been sorted by the dealer ..... crap dealer I guess use someone else

Regards Jim

Hi Rayne,

don't forget what i said earlier YMUK will wait for a reply from the dealer before replying to you which I guess is fair (to get both sides of the problem. Was the Woodruff key the major failure ? Which if it was it would throw the ignition timing to pot & in turn distroy part of the crankshaft. To take this a stage further could the woodruff key shearing and floating around in the engine distroy the cam chain lower drive sprocket (this would take seconds) and in turn distroy the cylinder head and its componet parts and I would guess distroy the cylinder & piston (as the valves get bent and hit the piston and or the bore). If the engine still rattles and lacks performance perhaps the person who rebuilt the engine got the valve timing wrong (which would give a rattle from the top end of the engine and a loss of performance if the timing is set in one way if set the other way it wouldn't run). With the problem you have had I can see why ur upset ... i.e a new engine that has to be rebuilt and tbh I would be annoyed .. but to hit the old chestnut I would guess a dealer fault on the engine problem. which leads me on to the faulty stand switch which should have been a different claim and should have been sorted by the dealer ..... crap dealer I guess use someone else

Regards Jim

Update for you Jim. I recieved a reply yesterday from the yamaha MD. Says he apologises for the delay as he has been abroad on business. He will have his people talk to the dealership who "fixed" the bike and will get back to me as soon as he can. I appreciate the response from the man himself so lets see what comes of it.

Someone has also said to me that it may be a case that the exhaust system is not working properly....hence the lack of power. I opened it up a bit yesterday morning at 5 am on a dual carriage way with hardly any traffic. it absolutely struggled to hit 64 MPH going DOWN a steep hill. It has a bit of power on acceleration but will not go past 8000rpm in 6th. Not right is it.

The bike is in beautiful condition as I have looked after it. The build quality is superb and everyone loves the style and looks of the bike (as do I). Not a lot of bikers I know are happy about what has happened though. They say they will reserve judgement on who or what is at fault and what happens after the investigation by Yamaha is complete as will Trading Standards and the rest.

Time will tell on who says what and who points the finger at who. Emails and a diary of events will show up who is telling the truth and we will see what happens after that.

Pardon any spelling mistakes as its daft oclock in the morning. :D

Update for you Jim. I recieved a reply yesterday from the yamaha MD. Says he apologises for the delay as he has been abroad on business. He will have his people talk to the dealership who "fixed" the bike and will get back to me as soon as he can. I appreciate the response from the man himself so lets see what comes of it.

Someone has also said to me that it may be a case that the exhaust system is not working properly....hence the lack of power. I opened it up a bit yesterday morning at 5 am on a dual carriage way with hardly any traffic. it absolutely struggled to hit 64 MPH going DOWN a steep hill. It has a bit of power on acceleration but will not go past 8000rpm in 6th. Not right is it.

The bike is in beautiful condition as I have looked after it. The build quality is superb and everyone loves the style and looks of the bike (as do I). Not a lot of bikers I know are happy about what has happened though. They say they will reserve judgement on who or what is at fault and what happens after the investigation by Yamaha is complete as will Trading Standards and the rest.

Time will tell on who says what and who points the finger at who. Emails and a diary of events will show up who is telling the truth and we will see what happens after that.

Pardon any spelling mistakes as its daft oclock in the morning. :D

Hi Rayne,

The process starts .... Andy Smith replied I would guess things should move on at a faster pace now.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online