FZR 1000 EXUP??

AndiG
This post is 5324 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Firstly, hello everyone! This is my first post and already looking for somehelp.....sorry!!

I am taking delivery of a 1989 FZR 1000 EXUP tomorrow (always wanted one!) and apart from the exup valve being seized it's really clean! So, to my first question.......where isbest place to find an EXUP valve (servo still fine)?? Also, would a FZR 400 valve work (as there seem to be a few of those about!!).

Lastly,.....I've read the spec of the bike and it states the tyre sizes as front - 130/60/17 and rear 170/60/17. Can more commonly available tyre sizes fit....to get more choice??

Thanks very much all.........

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Andy.

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your query (not me though :D )

Firstly, hello everyone! This is my first post and already looking for somehelp.....sorry!!

I am taking delivery of a 1989 FZR 1000 EXUP tomorrow (always wanted one!) and apart from the exup valve being seized it's really clean! So, to my first question.......where isbest place to find an EXUP valve (servo still fine)?? Also, would a FZR 400 valve work (as there seem to be a few of those about!!).

Lastly,.....I've read the spec of the bike and it states the tyre sizes as front - 130/60/17 and rear 170/60/17. Can more commonly available tyre sizes fit....to get more choice??

Thanks very much all.........

Hi Andy

:welcome: to the forum

there is very little chance of a 400 valve working physical size plays a part in this !!! with care & time you may be able to fix the original valve post back with what the valve is 'doing'

Regards Jim

Hi Andy

:welcome: to the forum

there is very little chance of a 400 valve working physical size plays a part in this !!! with care & time you may be able to fix the original valve post back with what the valve is 'doing'

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim......thought it would be a long shot! Unfortunately, the original valve has been disposed of by the previous owner (my mate Mark!!) and so can't go down the repair route!!

Thanks Jim......thought it would be a long shot! Unfortunately, the original valve has been disposed of by the previous owner (my mate Mark!!) and so can't go down the repair route!!

Hi Andy,

I guess from that the exhaust is shot too .... Ouch !

Regards Jim

Hi Andy,

I guess from that the exhaust is shot too .... Ouch !

Regards Jim

Ermmmm........I'm not sure as i've ridden the bike and it goes great?? The servo is still there and working but he has a stainless link pipe and can on the bike. It's a bit "fluffy" below 4k rpm but then pulls great! I'm no mechanic buddy so any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Jim

Andi

Ermmmm........I'm not sure as i've ridden the bike and it goes great?? The servo is still there and working but he has a stainless link pipe and can on the bike. It's a bit "fluffy" below 4k rpm but then pulls great! I'm no mechanic buddy so any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Jim

Andi

Hi Andi

if thats the case the bike will just need a bit of fettling some people may charge you the earth to do it but TBH if the bike is as you say a couple of hours labour by someone in the know will sort it !

Regards Jim

Hi Andi

if thats the case the bike will just need a bit of fettling some people may charge you the earth to do it but TBH if the bike is as you say a couple of hours labour by someone in the know will sort it !

Regards Jim

That's great Jim........thanks once again!!

That's great Jim........thanks once again!!

Hi Andi,

no problem ... FZR1000 was just as I finished being a mechanic but if you need help I will try to help you out !

Regards Jim

Hi Andi,

no problem ... FZR1000 was just as I finished being a mechanic but if you need help I will try to help you out !

Regards Jim

Very much appreciated Jim................Thanks alot buddy!!

The FZR1000 Exup valve is the same as the YZF750. (its the only bike that shares the same exup valve with the FZR1000)

The valve cover, pulley wheel and cable bracket are the same on the Thunderace, Early R1`s, YZF750 and FZR1000.

It will run sluggish below 4000 rpm without the valve, and its a long/costly job to try and re-jet around the problem.

The FZR1000 Exup valve is the same as the YZF750. (its the only bike that shares the same exup valve with the FZR1000)

The valve cover, pulley wheel and cable bracket are the same on the Thunderace, Early R1`s, YZF750 and FZR1000.

It will run sluggish below 4000 rpm without the valve, and its a long/costly job to try and re-jet around the problem.

YZF750's & Thunderace's where not born in my day but as the engines are different I would guess that the processor that controls the valve would be different so you may find the hardware to fit (exhaust pipes, valve, cover & cables etc) but finding the correct (or a one that will work) controler may be a bit difficult !

Regards Jim

YZF750's & Thunderace's where not born in my day but as the engines are different I would guess that the processor that controls the valve would be different so you may find the hardware to fit (exhaust pipes, valve, cover & cables etc) but finding the correct (or a one that will work) controler may be a bit difficult !

Regards Jim

Thanks again guys!!

OK...... I've spoken to my mate Mark and basically it will need everthing bar the servo!!! but he reckons getting an aftermarket set of headers will remove the need for the exup valve and cure the low down "fluffyness"!! Is this the case??

If so.....i have a set of xjr headers available and wondered whether these could work?????

Thanks again guys........................... :thumb:

Regards Jim

He says he still has the Exup servo fitted, so no problem mate.

The CDI/ECU only controls the servo motor, its really not a problem.

Thanks again guys!!

OK...... I've spoken to my mate Mark and basically it will need everthing bar the servo!!! but he reckons getting an aftermarket set of headers will remove the need for the exup valve and cure the low down "fluffyness"!! Is this the case??

If so.....i have a set of xjr headers available and wondered whether these could work?????

Thanks again guys........................... :thumb:

You can get a set of stainless aftermarket pipes with no Exup valve, but the FZR will still need a small ammount of tuning.

I bought a set for my Thunderace, bolted straight on, no tuning required, but the Ace and FZR have different ammounts of cam overlap.

Have a look on Ebay, Sandybikespares is where i got mine from, good people, find there listings and speak to them on the phone first if your not sure.

Have a looky here, includes there phone number

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7894

rf9.......thanks very much!! I'm actually watching a set of headers from them and think i'll go for it!! £200 plus delivery. Can i also ask buddy.......when you say need setting up do you mean a dyno kit, dyno time etc..... i've only had one cardb'd bike and never fettled with it!! Got a PC111 and custom map on my Mille, fuel injected though so unsure where to start getting it sorted if it doesn't run sweet?????

Thanks again mate........................Andi

rf9.......thanks very much!! I'm actually watching a set of headers from them and think i'll go for it!! £200 plus delivery. Can i also ask buddy.......when you say need setting up do you mean a dyno kit, dyno time etc..... i've only had one cardb'd bike and never fettled with it!! Got a PC111 and custom map on my Mille, fuel injected though so unsure where to start getting it sorted if it doesn't run sweet?????

Thanks again mate........................Andi

They claim that the headers are a direct replacement with no setting up required, although i`d expect to do a bit of tuning to the carbs.

It may just need the carbs setting up or at the worst a different set of jets, although much easier to do this than try to set up your original headers with the valve removed.

And on the plus side with the new ones, no more Exup valve to service!

They claim that the headers are a direct replacement with no setting up required, although i`d expect to do a bit of tuning to the carbs.

It may just need the carbs setting up or at the worst a different set of jets, although much easier to do this than try to set up your original headers with the valve removed.

And on the plus side with the new ones, no more Exup valve to service!

Excellent buddy...........thanks very much for all your help!! I'll get them ordered and whack them on......

Thanks again mate.................... :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online