XS Brake compatibility

HotelBushranger
This post is 5433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

G'day guys,

Want to give my XS 250 better brakes up the front, are 650 brakes compatible (in terms of mounting bolts etc) with 250/400 wheels? Or am I better off going for something else.

Cheers

if you have the mounting for a caliper on the left side, you can use SR500 caliper and caliper mount (it even says left on the mount) you can get disks either from ebay or maybe the sr (not sure!) you then need to make up some new hoses as they will have to go from the master cyl using a double banjo.

you also need an XS1100/750/850 master cylinder to push more brake fluid.

the wheel has a plastic cover on with drillings for the brake disk.

if you have the mounting for a caliper on the left side, you can use SR500 caliper and caliper mount (it even says left on the mount) you can get disks either from ebay or maybe the sr (not sure!) you then need to make up some new hoses as they will have to go from the master cyl using a double banjo.

you also need an XS1100/750/850 master cylinder to push more brake fluid.

the wheel has a plastic cover on with drillings for the brake disk.

What's wrong with using the master cylinder from the 650? Was also planning on keeping the 250 disk, or is this a no-no?

What's wrong with using the master cylinder from the 650? Was also planning on keeping the 250 disk, or is this a no-no?

if you have 2 disks for the front that's fine. thought you only had one (250) on the front! just helping you source another disk

if the master cylinder from the 650 was for twin disks, it should be ok!

as i think the 650,s brake system was the same anyhow you will not find much improvement, first step would be too strip the caliper and give it a good clean make sure all the pivots etc are free, and the piston is not rusted/seized fit new seals as well if the piston is rusty and pitted stainless ones are available, When Chris Pearson did the 120 mph RD250E (that uses same system) for CMM he used the standard caliper but a modern master cylinder and said braking was much improved on it

merv

Hmm, will keep that in mind. Thanks mate. Any ideas for a 'modern' master cylinder?

magura springs to mind.

yep some 650's had twin disks!!

you could always go FZR400 disk and a modern nissin caliper and then make up new mount!!!

xs450_fzrdisk_gxrcaliper.jpg

magura springs to mind.

yep some 650's had twin disks!!

you could always go FZR400 disk and a modern nissin caliper and then make up new mount!!!

xs450_fzrdisk_gxrcaliper.jpg

who does this bike belong to? and why all the drilled out material?

it was on sale in german ebay for racing purposes only.

I saved the pictures for my info!!

it was rebored to 450cc and BIG inlet valves fitted, charging system removed so igntion was via total loss battery.

drewps

Ohh, right. So 650's have twin discs? Didn't know that. No, I was only going to have the one disk. So that's why I need to get a different master cylinder ey?

Cheers

Hi,

Some XS650s have a single disk ~1979 XS650S & later XS650SE's... But both master cylinders (twin disk XS650 & single disk XS650's) will have enogh power to pull 2 disks with the correct hose .. If you use the std XS400 disk why bother changing the rest for no advantage !

Regards Jim

Will a 650 caliper and master cylinder work in direct conjunction on a stock 400 front end and rotor?

Hi,

That is what I stated the only other problem you may have is mounting the 650 caliper (I forgot that one) as you may find the bolt holes dont marry up

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online