Chain Suggestions

sleepyk
This post is 5453 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've never bought a chain before and the prices seem all over the place. I'd like to stay at $50 and below. It is for my '78 xs500.

Any suggestions on brands or type (520, 530....)?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well 520/530 is a size not a choice, but as for price well you get what you pay for, a good o ring chain maybe twice the price of a standard one but will last more than twice as the standard one

Merv

I just buy £20 jobs every year, saves oiling them all the time and is no problem for me coz it don't get used in the winter.

I've never bought a chain before and the prices seem all over the place. I'd like to stay at $50 and below. It is for my '78 xs500.

Any suggestions on brands or type (520, 530....)?

Hi,

Just stay with the correct pitch I seem to remember the 500 used the 530 pitch !! if the bike is for occasional use a cheap one will do else if the bike is going to lotsa miles buy a good one and sprokets too

Regards Jim

Hi,

Just stay with the correct pitch I seem to remember the 500 used the 530 pitch !! if the bike is for occasional use a cheap one will do else if the bike is going to lotsa miles buy a good one and sprokets too

Regards Jim

Thanks guys!

Jim your right. After some research the XS500 is definitely 530.

I have no idea what my relationship with this bike is going to be once I finish it. I purchased it as a way of learning basic bike maintenance. The process has certainly taught me alot about carbs, points, tires, brakes, pistons.......and now chains. I'm exhausted and exhilerated to be finishing it. I'm certainly going to ride the hell out of it once I'm done. Will it replace my beloved 400 or my gigantic Honda scooter?? I don't know. I have alot of time invested in it and I personally think it is the sharpest of the classic Yamaha's.

I'll be certain to post some pictures and a possible YouTube video once we're on the road.

Thanks again!!

Thanks guys!

Jim your right. After some research the XS500 is definitely 530.

I have no idea what my relationship with this bike is going to be once I finish it. I purchased it as a way of learning basic bike maintenance. The process has certainly taught me alot about carbs, points, tires, brakes, pistons.......and now chains. I'm exhausted and exhilerated to be finishing it. I'm certainly going to ride the hell out of it once I'm done. Will it replace my beloved 400 or my gigantic Honda scooter?? I don't know. I have alot of time invested in it and I personally think it is the sharpest of the classic Yamaha's.

I'll be certain to post some pictures and a possible YouTube video once we're on the road.

Thanks again!!

Your Hooked !!!

soon the 500 will be poking it's head from under the duvet and saying "its your turn to make the cofee/tea" :lol::D:rolleyes::lol:

Wait till my wife sees the XS-500 t-shirt I had made at Zazzle.com..........I'm not kidding.

:rolleyes:

I guess the XS500 is in the bed & the wife in the garage !! :D:D:D

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online