1982 xs400R seca

dtmf
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

here's my new to me 82 xs400 seca . it hardly ran when i got her. ive tore thru the motor and carb's like a mad man.

thank's to info ive found here she now purrs like a kitten and makes good power . up next is new brake's rear shock clutch rebuild and mabe some new pipe's

btw i got rid of those ugly mirror's and got some bar end mirror's

1982xs400Rseca2.jpg

1982xs400Rseca1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: dtmf, looks like your handy with bikes.

keep up the good work and let us know how you are getting on

drewps

drewps

thank's drewpy . it's been 10 year's since i've had my hand's on a bike. this one was a real mess .

it had alot of problem's . ran like crap the idle screw was missing it was just using the throtle cable adjuster to get idle . had a bad exhaust leak i was afraid that side was toast . but as luck would have it it's ok :) . the light's and key switch were a mess of cut up wire's stuffed behind the headlight . i had to redo all of it lot's of solder and heatshrink tubing . master cylinder had no screw's it was "glue'd "on and leaking badly . the whole front aftermarket faring and headlamp where held up with coathanger wire :blink: . i could not belive someone owned this raty snotty mess of a bike . all of this and more have been fixed the right way . i've bin lucky so far . the carb's still need some work

pod fiter's are a must i hate that air box

btw anyone know where i can get the valve shim's and the tappet locking tool . a good vavle adjustment will realy help me get this 400 in tune

dtmf

i just finish'd replacing the master cylinder with the 16mm magura from mike's xs . look's real nice and work's better than the old leaky one . i'm going to go on a good long ride tomorrow and she how she hold's up B)

i found some time to toy with mona today . i cut the pipes down a bit . wow what a big diferance alot better throttle response and it was Loud just the way i like it. i'm still having some prob's with the idle hanging random kinda now mostly only when i get on the throttle hard . here's some new pic's enjoy

stock:

CIMG1260.jpg

cut RH side:

CIMG1262.jpg

cut LH side:

CIMG1261.jpg

DTMF,

Have the exact same bike, but my exhuast is in rough shape, was originally just going to paint them with black BBQ paint, but like the cut down look, so how did you cut down your mufflers? Did you have to make new ends, baffles? How much louder is the bike? would it pass inspection based on the noise level? Sorry lots of questions, but could end up following this root as well.

THanks in advance

drewps

Totally :mellow:

DTMF,

Have the exact same bike, but my exhuast is in rough shape, was originally just going to paint them with black BBQ paint, but like the cut down look, so how did you cut down your mufflers? Did you have to make new ends, baffles? How much louder is the bike? would it pass inspection based on the noise level? Sorry lots of questions, but could end up following this root as well.

THanks in advance

i cut the pipes @ the weld just after the foot peg's . you could cut them about 3" longer before you hit the baffles .i did this mostly becuse the baffles where cloged up bad and cuz i like loud bikes . i'm going to get the mac 2 in to 1 pipe set and fab my own "muffler" in a few week's . as for noise it's realy loud and would never pass a noise polution test .i would do the inspection then cut them .it may not be wise to run like this for a long time with the decreased backpressure im not shure . post up some pic's of your's i would love to see it

i'm going to get the mac 2 in to 1 pipe set and fab my own "muffler" in a few week's .

That Mac set-up isn't too bad for the $$......

Vance & Hines also makes a sweet 2 into 1 for this bike. ;)

i did a front shock oil change today . there was only about 1/2 a cup or less in them and it was black an nasty .very easy to do as long as you got a buddy to compress the top cap while you get that sob c-clip out :angry: . i went with 7wt feel's alot better. i can now "feel" the road . i'm still waiting for my EBC brake rotor and pad's to show up along with all new cable's and ss brake line's . the carb's are still a bit snotty

some new pic's after a little paint . i'm still having a problem with the carb's . went it's hot out they hang around 3k-4k rpm often but not all the time BUT when it's cold out i can ride almost all day and they hardly do it @ all .i've looked every where for a vacum leak . i order'd some new carb holder's and some new jet size's i'm gonig to switch to pod filter's soon .i also finaly found the tool needed to change the vavle shim's .

edit: the last 2 vid's were horrible here's some better pic's enjoy :)

CIMG1325.jpg

CIMG1332.jpg

CIMG1329.jpg

0620091616a.jpg

Looks like your moving along on the re-build, know the idea is to get the bike on the road at a low cost, but would suggest you pick up a side panel for the bike, will make a world of difference in looks (does on mine), and ones available for a good price on ebay right now: item #260431337597 .

Cheers,

Looks like your moving along on the re-build, know the idea is to get the bike on the road at a low cost, but would suggest you pick up a side panel for the bike, will make a world of difference in looks (does on mine), and ones available for a good price on ebay right now: item #260431337597 .

Cheers,

i would if i was going to use the stock air box . i'm switching to pod's as soon as all my part's show up for the carb's .next the tail and seat are going bye bye .

• 4 weeks later...

so i got some time to work on the pipes this weekend .i was going to get the mac 2 in to 1 but i just went ahead and cut up the old one's and welded some new pipe on then wraped them up . i cut out both xover's so now they are just straight pipes . the old pipes were double wall so i had to weld a bead around the inside where i cut them so they would not rattle around . they sound sooo loud i may baffle them . my new jet's and pod's from mikes xs will be here on monday then the tuning fun begin's . here's some pic's and a video enjoy

CIMG1389.jpg

CIMG1388.jpg

CIMG1386.jpg

CIMG1385.jpg

i got the jet's changed out today also put on some pod's . cuting out the air box was a big pain :angry: . i made a new box for the battery out of sheet metal . since ive done the pipes and even after the jet change i still have some bogging in the low rpm's . in 1st gear @ a stop when i take off it feel's like it lag's a bit then pick's up halfway thru 1st and then it's fine i went one size up from stock on the main's 117-120 RH / 127.5-130 LH the pilot jet's where already up alot past stock . they where like that when i got the bike. stock is 35 and thet both had 42.5. my mixture screw's are out about 3 1/4 turn's and they are new got them when i rebuilt the carb's afew month's ago . here's a vid of her with with the new change's enjoy

here's some pic's too

CIMG1429.jpg

CIMG1426.jpg

CIMG1430.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i made some change's to the front end . new bar's and new turn signal's and got rid of some weight . after the new pipes and pod fiters and new jet's and custom tuned baffel's this girl now run's strong . when i got the bike it was lower'd by 3/8 " i now raised it 1/2" and changed the bar's . here's some pics

CIMG1448.jpg

CIMG1450.jpg

CIMG1449.jpg

CIMG1447.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online