How much do you know about riding?

Pete
This post is 7259 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

XT Alan is absolutely right in what he's saying.

But to reinforce a point that Tony Carter is trying to make, he's given you a number of speed options to choose.

I'll give you Tony's answer very soon, but remember that you can dispute it, or argue the point as much as you like. But the bottom line is that his knowledge, experience, and qualifications far outweigh anybody elses.

He's the only guy that I will take direction from, and as you know I've been around a long time and don't listen to anything that the likes of the IAM and ROSPA say. Well meaning amateurs in my book...the vast majority of whom can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

Tony Carter is a pro...and he can really walk the walk.

I'll have to get him to tell you the time he went bike testing with all the Riding God journalists who you see wheelying in the mags, but on real roads in North Wales. They were ALL owned by Tony...and in a big way! :lol:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OK....here's the answer in Tony Carter's exact words:

When you first approached the bend(s) an assessment of the correct speed was made on what you could see. When the subsequent runs have been made at the higher speeds the assessment was made now using local knowledge.

The first time you went through the bend you could not see where the road went, you didn't know whether there were parked cars on the exit side or whether there were potholes or gravel or whatever, so the speed selected was based on that lack of knowledge. Once you have been through the bend you know how severe the bend is, you know the state of the road surface, you know whether there are parked vehicles or whatever so automaticaly you are using that knowledge to up your speed, but every bend should be treated as if you are riding it for the first time regardless of how often you use that section of road.

So the correct answer to the original question is

30 MPH

Dispute it if you like....but that's the bottom line...cos Tony Carter said so! 8)

Never go faster than your stopping distance allows, THIS you should always be able to see. This will prevent unexpected hazards which could appear on any of the repeated trips/passes through the series of bends. This isn't a speed question, it is a visibility question.

Definitely on the right track there Alan :wink:

So the correct answer to the original question is

30 MPH

Dispute it if you like....but that's the bottom line...cos Tony Carter said so!  8)

ok so you are doing 30 round bends, and then a car behind you is doing 60-70 goes round a bend doesnt see you and bang....

NAAAAAHHHHH, I'm having none of it, if ive gone down a nice lenth of tarmac twisty's then turned round to go back, i'm gonna go as fast as i can enjoy it! but there again thats probably why ive broke most bones in my body, and as for 30mph on my bike, there isnt one, coz if i let my clutch out, i'm speeding, thats probably why ive 9 points! :pic

ok so you are doing 30 round bends, and then a car behind you is doing 60-70 goes round a bend doesnt see you and bang....

He's not saying do 30 around bends, he's basically saying treat a bend like it's the first time you've been round it....rather than presuming the road is clear.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online