Tight front brake

dugald
This post is 5489 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I just got a 2006 YBR125 yesterday and am very happy with it. From what I could gather it has been sitting a while in a gaurage, although the previous owner rode it over to my house yesterday (20+ miles). I have checked most servicable aspects of the bike, but noticed whilst moving the bike around that the front disk brake squeeks a little.

If I get the front tyre of the ground, it is quite stiff to turn it around (requires about 50% of my strength to get it to move). I think that the caliper is badly set. Is it possible to loosen it off a bit? I could do with a workshop manual really - where can I get one?

The brake light comes on after about 0.75cm of brake lever travel.

Any advice on caliper adjustment would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like the caliper is sized and should be taken to a garage to get it sorted

i have the same problem with my MT-03

Cheers for the reply. I took the caliper off to get a better idea of what the problem is. It seems the piston extends when I grip the lever, but when I let it go it doesnt retract. I can push it back in by hand but it is very stiff. Is this normal?

I took a look at the pads too and they dont seem to have any wear indicators showing:

imgp0785.jpg

Is there much I can do myself or is it a job for the garage?

Cheers for the reply. I took the caliper off to get a better idea of what the problem is. It seems the piston extends when I grip the lever, but when I let it go it doesnt retract. I can push it back in by hand but it is very stiff. Is this normal?

I took a look at the pads too and they dont seem to have any wear indicators showing:

imgp0785.jpg

Is there much I can do myself or is it a job for the garage?

How many pistons are in the caliper on that bike, just on one side or both?

Just one piston. The pad on the piston side is about .75mm more worn than the other.

OK its making sense now, I the caliper should somehow slide on its guide pins it is a 'floating caliper' , its probably a bit siezed up so the pad on the piston side is doing the most work, thats why its worn down more, you need to do whatever it takes to get the caliper sliding on its guides it would be best dismantled and the guides cleaned and coated with copperslip or the like.

Cheers oldgit I'll give that a try. :thumb:

How does that brake pad look to you - the owner's manual mentions wear indicators but I dont see any - is the pad done? If they are uneven should I replace them?

Cheers oldgit I'll give that a try. :thumb:

How does that brake pad look to you - the owner's manual mentions wear indicators but I dont see any - is the pad done? If they are uneven should I replace them?

I would replace them yes, you can get them wemoto Here but its not an old bike so M&P may do them , of course Yamaha dealer too., You will need to lever the piston back to fit the new shoes, use a tyre lever and some packing to do this, give the piston a wipe round to clean any crud off first.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online