yamaha ttr600 RE

This post is 4401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

can someone help im thinking of getting a yamaha ttr600 re what sort of top end can i expect from the bike i will be more on road than off the mpg, and any fault s i should expect from this model its an 05 with 2000 mile on the clock and a price i should expect to pay if you can help with the above it would be much appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Top end in the book is I think about 104 mph. Mine is very comfortable at 70 mph, though I rarely do this.

I reckon I get no more than 40 mpg or so, but I don't pay much attention to these figures.

Price is always subjective. For 05 plate and 2k miles, if in excellent cond. - £2.7k - £3.0 k would not be far out from a dealer. Maybe less if private.

Good luck

Top end in the book is I think about 104 mph. Mine is very comfortable at 70 mph, though I rarely do this.

I reckon I get no more than 40 mpg or so, but I don't pay much attention to these figures.

Price is always subjective. For 05 plate and 2k miles, if in excellent cond. - £2.7k - £3.0 k would not be far out from a dealer. Maybe less if private.

Good luck

thanks for the reply just to say i bought the bike and must say im impressed got a lot of greenlanes on the island and the bike is really at home before i had the dommie found it to be to bulky and there was to much nice panneling to worry about but again it was a good reliable bike anyway thanks again

thanks for the reply just to say i bought the bike and must say im impressed got a lot of greenlanes on the island and the bike is really at home before i had the dommie found it to be to bulky and there was to much nice panneling to worry about but again it was a good reliable bike anyway thanks again

Im also looking at getting one of these, now your lucky enough to have one, what are they like? got anywhere near 104? Reccomend?

thanks andy.

p.s noticed you said, on the island and with your name being wighty im presuming ur on the isle of wight. I go over there occasionally on my Dt125. Love the island have been going there since i was like 3! Went on the green lanes in a friends discovery a few years back, he got stuck on one, just off the main road near compton bay haha. Anywhere you reccomend trying?

i know it is a little older but i have a 86 tt600 and it oped out just over 100mph easily in the dirt with stock gearing.

after that i did a little engine work and it makes huge low end torque pulls the front wheel in 4th if not careful.

Good to hear that you bought it.

I have only had mine since Feb. It's on 04 plate and had 1600miles only - really good nick. I love it. I live in north Dorset and just use it to play around locally with. There are some lanes also.

I'm sure you'l enjoy yours too. For a single modern 'thumper' they are a smooth machine. I have a very small knock at the top of the steering head that I need to investigate, but I only hear it when off road. Could just be the headlight assembly ? It seems very well built and solid otherwise.

Roll on the summer !! :D;)

A bit late on this, you do have a great bike there, big smiles and fun factor all in together.

Firstly, the problem areas. HT lead from the coil, it will work it's way loose. Before winter take the tank off (two bolts under the seat) and tighten it up (it just crews in). I wrapped mine in self amalgamating tape and it's been fine since.

Spark Plug, ditch the current one and stick an Irridium one, they burn a little hotter and improves starting.

Battery - the bike will eat batteries, if it's over 2 years old then replace it before the winter and get an Optimate/optimiser/oxfimister doesn't matter which one, cheapest does the same job, and make sure you use it always when the bike is standing.

Fuel tap, before you stop the bike, turn the fuel off and let it run a while. If the bike is going to stand (anything more than a week) then run the bike until it cuts out. For some reason these bikes don't like having the fuel tap on, it's a sod to start if you have .

These bike were born for the dirt, they will do stupid speeds on dirt (almost as fast as on tarmac) in the right hands and you have a huge choice in off-road rubber. I use mine for off-road and I've fitted Michelin Enduro Comp III & IV, these tyres are just on the border of legality, OK on road (but you get a tank slapper at 60+) but awesum off. RUnning the Pirelli rubber is good on road and reasonable off (don't like mud).

You can SuperMotot the bikes at a cost, but to be honest I can't see the reason in it.

They only imported these bikes for 2 years, and if you go to any club meets (ADV, HU etc) you get alot of admiration from the Overlanders, I think these bikes will become a classic in much the same way as the old Tenere or Africa Twin as time passes.

I've pitted the TTR against Huskies, KTMs and WR's and they certainly hold thier own for a 600cc machine, off course being air-cooled they are considerably lighter than other bikes in the same class (KLR, Dominators, Tenere) and with this comes improved 'chuckaboutability'

The tank is a real letdown though, expect to get around 100km before reserve. Acerbis do a long range tank at around £300, and these almost never come up second hand (I know - I've been looking for two years!).

If you look for any modifications (luggage, crash protection, screens etc) you will struggle, most guys have created 'on-off specials' although Off The Road in Germany do a bit of stuff.

If yuo get the chance, take the bike into Wales, or the Lakes where you can get to grips with some knarley lanes and see what the bike can really do.

Gas up .......

That's a great and useful posting. Thanks very much for it and the tips.

Any thoughts on what the slight knocking might be from the area of my steering head when on slightly rough ground ?

Don't get the noise on the road.

(Sorry to hijack your thread a little Wighty)

Ta.

ps can't get back to a PC for a week now ..!! <_<

• 3 months later...

Hi Cajadaj, I'm in North Dorset too!

I just sold an old (1986 - 48k miles) DR600 & picked up a 2004 TTR600RE. These are nice little bikes, and coz they aren't the most "hi-tech" they often get overlooked by the "yoof of today", who have to have the latest bling thing! My bike has a slight knock from the front end, but I think it is the clocks???? I have had the bike off the ground & can't fell any play on the front end!?

Only done a few hundred miles so far, but it runs nice & smooth and has a reasonable turn of speed. The suspension is OK, reasonably firm and handles real nice on & off road.

As for problems, the only "blip" appears to be 5th gear, which can wear if you plod along on low revs. Have a look on the Hubb http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ they have a good section covering these bikes (and the previous XT600/600 this bike is based on). Also, not a lot of accessories for this specific model.

TTR's are a good buy, nice & simple to service & work on, and as stated, not the "in thing" so desireability is low, so they can be picked up cheap. I just got this 2004 model, 9/10 condition, 6000km new MOT for £1900 ;)

just like to say thanks to everyone for there insight and information that has been helpful as to good places to ride on the island weve got 29 miles of byways going over the downs called the tennyson trail from alumbay to carisbrooke just been on it this week if your ever on the island check it out i agree with the turning off of the petrol tap but would like to know why if left for a week or more whats the fault that causes this this question will suit a mechanical buff i need to know why i cant beleive we can get men on the moon and we cant sort this problem

• 2 years later...

A bit late on this, you do have a great bike there, big smiles and fun factor all in together.

Firstly, the problem areas. HT lead from the coil, it will work it's way loose. Before winter take the tank off (two bolts under the seat) and tighten it up (it just crews in). I wrapped mine in self amalgamating tape and it's been fine since.

Spark Plug, ditch the current one and stick an Irridium one, they burn a little hotter and improves starting.

Battery - the bike will eat batteries, if it's over 2 years old then replace it before the winter and get an Optimate/optimiser/oxfimister doesn't matter which one, cheapest does the same job, and make sure you use it always when the bike is standing.

Fuel tap, before you stop the bike, turn the fuel off and let it run a while. If the bike is going to stand (anything more than a week) then run the bike until it cuts out. For some reason these bikes don't like having the fuel tap on, it's a sod to start if you have .

These bike were born for the dirt, they will do stupid speeds on dirt (almost as fast as on tarmac) in the right hands and you have a huge choice in off-road rubber. I use mine for off-road and I've fitted Michelin Enduro Comp III & IV, these tyres are just on the border of legality, OK on road (but you get a tank slapper at 60+) but awesum off. RUnning the Pirelli rubber is good on road and reasonable off (don't like mud).

You can SuperMotot the bikes at a cost, but to be honest I can't see the reason in it.

They only imported these bikes for 2 years, and if you go to any club meets (ADV, HU etc) you get alot of admiration from the Overlanders, I think these bikes will become a classic in much the same way as the old Tenere or Africa Twin as time passes.

I've pitted the TTR against Huskies, KTMs and WR's and they certainly hold thier own for a 600cc machine, off course being air-cooled they are considerably lighter than other bikes in the same class (KLR, Dominators, Tenere) and with this comes improved 'chuckaboutability'

The tank is a real letdown though, expect to get around 100km before reserve. Acerbis do a long range tank at around £300, and these almost never come up second hand (I know - I've been looking for two years!).

If you look for any modifications (luggage, crash protection, screens etc) you will struggle, most guys have created 'on-off specials' although Off The Road in Germany do a bit of stuff.

If yuo get the chance, take the bike into Wales, or the Lakes where you can get to grips with some knarley lanes and see what the bike can really do.

Hi Gas up - Lets go.

Seen some of your posts on here and seems you have lots of experience with the TTR 600's. I'm a newbie to TTR's and pretty much motorbikes as a whole (used to have a few field bikes as a kid but wasn't a hardened biker). I've not had my TTR 600 RE 2005 for long and the battery keeps flatteneing. I'm a little disapointed the bike doesn't have a kick start installed. I see there is a sealed port where the kick start can be assembled and wondered if you might be able to give any advice where I can find parts and how to install?? I would just be happy to have a kicker as a back up when out on the trails.

What you think?

Cheers Marra :D

Jon

Hi Gas up - Lets go.

Seen some of your posts on here and seems you have lots of experience with the TTR 600's. I'm a newbie to TTR's and pretty much motorbikes as a whole (used to have a few field bikes as a kid but wasn't a hardened biker). I've not had my TTR 600 RE 2005 for long and the battery keeps flatteneing. I'm a little disapointed the bike doesn't have a kick start installed. I see there is a sealed port where the kick start can be assembled and wondered if you might be able to give any advice where I can find parts and how to install?? I would just be happy to have a kicker as a back up when out on the trails.

What you think?

Cheers Marra :D

Jon

Hi Jon

Glad someone likes a kickstart on a dirt bike, i have the 2001 TT600R ( kickstart model ) . Unfortunatly i dont think you can add a kickstart on the RE version , well i havnt heard of it. The TT600R is an excellent machine for the dirt or road, just make sure what ever your buying it hasnt a light knocking noise from the top end of the engine, more likely than not its the little end which will mean an engine rebuild at £350 to £400 plus labour.

TTB

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online