DT125R Major help needed .....please

mark2010
This post is 5470 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Mark,

coool you got the valve set correct now and the bike is back to normal !

Coolant Leak :-

No need to drain the system just get the bike warm(ish) and remove the cap (becareful as there is a chance of getting scoulded) this should expel any air within the cooling system then just refil ...

Regards Jim

to stop ure self geting scolded open the cap but dont lift it off on the edge that is closest to you so open it like opening a can the way you pullthe opposite side towards you if you get what im on about lol

that way if it spits then you will be coverd buy the lid

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

to stop ure self geting scolded open the cap but dont lift it off on the edge that is closest to you so open it like opening a can the way you pullthe opposite side towards you if you get what im on about lol

that way if it spits then you will be coverd buy the lid

So the cap is like a can lid ??

I would guess the cap can be undone and the steam/air taken away with no problem to the user which would then allow the user to add the coolant to the system as the air is expelled but I'll learn here the rad cap has a ring pull fitted ... so explain how the ring pull works ?

Regards Jim

So the cap is like a can lid ??

I would guess the cap can be undone and the steam/air taken away with no problem to the user which would then allow the user to add the coolant to the system as the air is expelled but I'll learn here the rad cap has a ring pull fitted ... so explain how the ring pull works ?

Regards Jim

nooo lmao i mean the way you want to open it after you unscrewd it :) so bring the edge of the lid towards you but keeping the edge closest to you on the rim of the screw thread

will make diagram if u like lol :D

nooo lmao i mean the way you want to open it after you unscrewd it :) so bring the edge of the lid towards you but keeping the edge closest to you on the rim of the screw thread

will make diagram if u like lol :D

As the Rad cap does not have a screw thread (the expansion tank may have) I guess we are talking different things, but I would love you to produce the diagram to ensure that we are talking on the same part.

Regards Jim

As the Rad cap does not have a screw thread (the expansion tank may have) I guess we are talking different things, but I would love you to produce the diagram to ensure that we are talking on the same part.

Regards Jim

On my 2002 bike the expansion chamber at the rear left hand side of the bike, around the airbox area. That has a rubber lung type lid to stop the coolant sploshing out. I think the cap he is talking about is at the front left side under your clutch lever (roughly). I cant remember if it has a scrwe thread or it is like a bayonet fitting.

Regards Jim

lol not sure what the rad caps like on those bikes but this is how i do it on my MT or my other bikes when clearing air presure in the cooling system

im not sure if we are on about the same thing but this is how i would clear air out the system if it were hot im standing to the left of the picture

P1010764.jpg

sorry took so long crap conection

lol not sure what the rad caps like on those bikes but this is how i do it on my MT or my other bikes when clearing air presure in the cooling system

im not sure if we are on about the same thing but this is how i would clear air out the system if it were hot im standing to the left of the picture

P1010764.jpg

sorry took so long crap conection

Yeah pretty similar on the Dt's, shape wise caps i mean. Personally my offroad bike has pressure in the coolant, although theres also oil :(

Yeah pretty similar on the Dt's, shape wise caps i mean. Personally my offroad bike has pressure in the coolant, although theres also oil :(

hmm if theres oil in the system then it needs to be drained and flushed im not sure what with but my guess would be to flush it with distiled water then fill with the right amount of coolant and water or premix if you can find it

lol not sure what the rad caps like on those bikes but this is how i do it on my MT or my other bikes when clearing air pressure in the cooling system

I'm not sure if we are on about the same thing but this is how i would clear air out the system if it were hot I'm standing to the left of the picture

P1010764.jpg

sorry took so long crap connection

not a problem,

The cap you show is not threaded so this would produce confusion. there is a chance we were talking the same thing but a rad with a thread no chance

Regards Jim

not a problem,

The cap you show is not threaded so this would produce confusion. there is a chance we were talking the same thing but a rad with a thread no chance

Regards Jim

no lol realised it was not threaded when i removed it i thorght it was threaded because a car one is and couldent remember if it was so just guessed :)

hmm if theres oil in the system then it needs to be drained and flushed im not sure what with but my guess would be to flush it with distiled water then fill with the right amount of coolant and water or premix if you can find it

Yeah but i think i might need to pay attention to the probably head gasket issues, given the oil and compression in the coolant lol! :(

Hi Mark,

coool you got the valve set correct now and the bike is back to normal !

Coolant Leak :-

No need to drain the system just get the bike warm(ish) and remove the cap (becareful as there is a chance of getting scoulded) this should expel any air within the cooling system then just refil ...

Regards Jim

Hi Jim

The bike is back to normal power wise i can get 70+ at 7k but it still doesnt have the fast acceleration that was there previous it doesnt really kick in like it did before

Ive done that with the cooling system.............so i will see how it is tomorow ............. the leak was coming from the bottom of the frame and its always after the bike has been running and comes to a stop its the same part of the frame where the pipe runs through and up to the reserve tank at the rear of the bike

Regards

Mark

Hi Jim

The bike is back to normal power wise i can get 70+ at 7k but it still doesnt have the fast acceleration that was there previous it doesnt really kick in like it did before

Ive done that with the cooling system.............so i will see how it is tomorow ............. the leak was coming from the bottom of the frame and its always after the bike has been running and comes to a stop its the same part of the frame where the pipe runs through and up to the reserve tank at the rear of the bike

Regards

Mark

glad its runing properly

:D

if you can see where its comming from under the fram if its an over flow then it will be ablack ruber pipe thats just dangaling down with anthoter black pipe(fule over flow)

if not then you have a leak in the system posibly a hole in the rez or rad

Hi

I cant see the overflow pipe but its the same part of the frame where the overflow pipe runs into from the rez so i think that probably the problem

Cheers

Hi

I cant see the overflow pipe but its the same part of the frame where the overflow pipe runs into from the rez so i think that probably the problem

Cheers

ahh i would say just keep a check on it

Yeah but i think i might need to pay attention to the probably head gasket issues, given the oil and compression in the coolant lol! :(

Its funny you mention the oil in the coolant coz when drained my system i had a rainbow of oil on the top of the coolant

glad its runing properly

:D

Me to lol .....bikes can be a real pain in the arse but great when they run right !!!!

Its funny you mention the oil in the coolant coz when drained my system i had a rainbow of oil on the top of the coolant

hmm i think maybe the cooleant hoses may have been conected wrongly at one point and then put right be the residue is stuck the the system i would say but about 4 litters of water through then to clean it out properly then fill with distiled water and a bit of coolant then run the bike then empty the coolant again if the oil is still there then you may have another problem sowhere else

Hi Mark,

that is unlikly to be oil .. in that sense it is more likly to be petrol/oil mix that got thro the head gaskit rather than oil itself. But in order to check that the mechanical seal to the rear of the water pump is ok check the gearbox oil if it is white & quite thick, water is getting into the gearbox via that seal. The amount of oil that would pass in the other direction is very small and would not show in the coolant, unless the problem has been a) around for quite a while B) the seal is totally cattled (in this instance the g/box would fill with coolant). As you have pulled the head off & I guess replaced the head gaskit there is a chance the problem is solved already.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online