How stiff are your handlebar mounts?

GaSo
This post is 5430 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I think my handlebars on my 81 XS400 are pretty sloppy. There are four rubber bushings under the handlebar clamp, and it doesn't seem to matter how tight I make the nut underneath, the handlebars wiggle front to back fairly freely. So, I figured the old rubber must be fatigued, and picked up some new mounts from mike's XS...only to find the new ones even looser...hah...

I was wondering if maybe some additional washers under the nut would help tighten down more. I put a short breaker bar on the ratchet to try to get some extra torque. I really don't know what to do other than maybe glue the damn things in. I mean, I can appreciate trying to dampen some vibration, but the amount of movement just looks ridiculous to me.

Anyone have any insight or thoughts they could share?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

when you tighten the nut underneath. the rubber is compressed and tightens up in the top yolk.

just checked mine and I have to give a fairly big tug to get them to move.

I wonder if the yolk holes have worn larger due to slack bushes?

I'm sure I have a pair in the shed., I'll measure the diameter for you

they are 32mm

Alright, mine are definitely not correct then! The old rubber didn't look worn in any way.

I'll try to throw another washer underneath and/or tighten them further.

2crlqh4.jpg

Calipers measured them about 31.6 mm, the new ones actually seem looser.

Alright, mine are definitely not correct then! The old rubber didn't look worn in any way.

I'll try to throw another washer underneath and/or tighten them further.

Calipers measured them about 31.6 mm, the new ones actually seem looser.

so the old ones are in the right ball park. let us know how you get on

drewps

So I think my handlebars on my 81 XS400 are pretty sloppy. There are four rubber bushings under the handlebar clamp, and it doesn't seem to matter how tight I make the nut underneath, the handlebars wiggle front to back fairly freely. So, I figured the old rubber must be fatigued, and picked up some new mounts from mike's XS...only to find the new ones even looser...hah...

I was wondering if maybe some additional washers under the nut would help tighten down more. I put a short breaker bar on the ratchet to try to get some extra torque. I really don't know what to do other than maybe glue the damn things in. I mean, I can appreciate trying to dampen some vibration, but the amount of movement just looks ridiculous to me.

Anyone have any insight or thoughts they could share?

Same story here. I put washers underneath to tighten them up a bit.

Same story here. I put washers underneath to tighten them up a bit.

I actually found a used set on ebay for mine that ended up being far tighter. Now my wiggle is pretty much gone, now if the helpers when we moved hadn't scratched the paint I would be far happier, I'm begining to wonder how many times I'm going to have to repaint my little 400, I've done it about 4 times so far. At least this next time I should only have to redo the tank instead of the tank AND the side covers.

I actually found a used set on ebay for mine that ended up being far tighter. Now my wiggle is pretty much gone, now if the helpers when we moved hadn't scratched the paint I would be far happier, I'm begining to wonder how many times I'm going to have to repaint my little 400, I've done it about 4 times so far. At least this next time I should only have to redo the tank instead of the tank AND the side covers.

you should be getting good at painting now then :lol:

you should be getting good at painting now then :lol:

Yes, but next is to get a gun and put my compressor to use and stop using rattle cans. :blink:

How stiff are your handlebar mounts?

Depends what Miss Goff is wearing...... :lol:

Hooo hooo, I'd be careful if I wuz you...she carries a whip. :D

That's precicely why I misbehave so often, dear boy!!! ;)

• 1 month later...

Ahh I never came back and followed up on this! I had to find some new washers at the hardware store of an approximately correct outer diameter, and then drill the inner diameter out to fit the bolts. Then mounted them under the existing hardware (on the top side of yoke), tightened everything down and it made an AMAZING difference! Good as new!

Sorry for taking so long to follow up...

P82WP.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online