R1 tyres

mick22
This post is 5489 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just bought a R1 and need to get tyres, Can any one reccommend tyres for a R1, I do a lot of miles so i need some that will last as long as possible !!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
I have just bought a R1 and need to get tyres, Can any one reccommend tyres for a R1, I do a lot of miles so i need some that will last as long as possible !!
Geday mate, It depends on how often it is going to be ridden as an r1 was intended to be ridden. The worst thing you can do is fit harder compound tyres on sports bikes to increae tyre life and then ever ride it like a sports bike. If you can provide more info on how it will be ridden then I would be happy to supply my thoughts on what may be suitable. These things are madness on the right rubber and deadly on the wrong stuff! HAVE A BLAST! Paul.

I've been using Michelin 2CT on my since they came out, I’m very happy with them as my bike is also used for getting to and from work, but because the sides of the tire are softer then the middle it just loves the corners. but you will be hard pushed to get more then about 3000 miles out of the rear, and that's about the norm, you could get more miles out of your tires if you were to fit some super hard touring rubber but if you doing that to an R1 you may as well sell it and get some thing like a Fazer 1000, a lot more suitable for long rides and it has plenty of power as well.

I have spoken to my bike garage and they have recommended Bridgestone BT-021.

These are sports /tourer tyres that will give plenty of grip when ridden hard and also should last a little longer than sports tyres.

I could never have another type of bike after riding my R1, Nothing could come close.

I have spoken to my bike garage and they have recommended Bridgestone BT-021.

These are sports /tourer tyres that will give plenty of grip when ridden hard and also should last a little longer than sports tyres.

I could never have another type of bike after riding my R1, Nothing could come close.

Geday again, If these are the sought of compounds that you feel may suit your style of riding I would be fitting a Michelin Pilot Power or Pilot Power 2ct on the front and a Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the rear. You could expect somewhere around 9000 miles out of the Pilot power and about 7000 out of the 2ct on the front and anywhere between 6000 and 9000 miles out of the road 2 on the rear depending on how spirited your braking and accelerating is. I fit and balance the tyres on both of my machines and some of my friends machines and always try to encourage them to atleast fit sports tyres to the front as when ridden reasonably mildly, commuting and the like, the fronts last almost as long as sport/touring tyres. Little step out moments on the rear usually only make your heartrate rise, little stepouts on the front often bring the bike down. Furthermore around 70% of your braking is via the front wheel and a harder compound on a lighter bike has to decrease the braking efficiency. Another good combination would be a Conti Sport attack on the front and a Conti Road attack on the rear. Just keep it in mind that none of these rear tyres including the BT-021 are completely compatible with the power out put and lean angle capabilities of your r1. On a warm day on hotmix these tyres will perform fine but it is in the less than ideal conditions that the sport tyres really show their worth. If you have your mind set on Bridgestones something like an 016 would be far better on the front. Metzeler Sport tec m3s are also quite good and even though they are classed as a sports tyre they give outstanding mileage. Just warm them up well before any mountain blasts.HOPE THIS HELPS! Paul.

yea! the Bridgestone BattlAx! Supposed to be great tires, nice mixture of performance grip and touring lifespan. they're relatively cheap too! as soon as i get my bike on the road im probably going to get BT-016's, they're the more race/performance oriented BattlAx's. :D