FZR 600R Ignition Switch

mattiec
This post is 5484 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guy's, Newbie on this forum so hello all.

I recently purchased this bike and it has ben stood up for a few years, so I'm in the process of orting the few niggaly things to be able to use her in the sun before really making her beutiful again.

The ignition barrel is very very worn, so finding a NOS one with two keys on Ebay for a few quid was a bonus.

Now it's here and off out to the garage I went to fit this wonderful new piece of yamaha goods only to be completly baffled as to how to remove the old one from the top yoke!!!!!!!!!

CAN ANYBODY HELP AND TELL ME HOW??????????

Cheers in advance.

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

IIRC, there is a flange on the barrel with two bolt holes. The bolts screw in to the underside of the top yoke. Once these bolts have been removed, just tap the top of the barrel downwards with a rubber mallet and it should pop out.

IIRC, there is a flange on the barrel with two bolt holes. The bolts screw in to the underside of the top yoke. Once these bolts have been removed, just tap the top of the barrel downwards with a rubber mallet and it should pop out.

Thanks,

I've found the holes but they don't seem to be bolts. ?They feel rounded off like rivets?

Any other ideas?

these are shear bolts, they are tightened until they snap so a thief cant just take them out. What you need to do is drill them out. they can be quite hard so oil and a slow drill speed. When you replace you might wanna put new shear bolts on.

good luck

sorry should clarify, you dont need to drill the bolts out, just drill the tops 'off' then remove the lock and turn the remainder out with mole grips, stilsons etc

Quite correct, excuse my less than specific post. I was assuming that the lock barrel had been previously replaced for some reason, possibly due to the fact that I've had to change quite a few recently for the second or third time (I don't refit using sheer bolts, I use TX security head bolts).

Quite correct, excuse my less than specific post. I was assuming that the lock barrel had been previously replaced for some reason, possibly due to the fact that I've had to change quite a few recently for the second or third time (I don't refit using sheer bolts, I use TX security head bolts).

Oh OK,

I have a full set of TX sockets & am not within the trade, any more, so I would guess that using that system to secure items as a main switch would comprimise the security of that bike (or top yoke if the bike was dismantled). The snap bolts came in in the mid 80's and would be the only way to restore the bikes integrity for the main switch or as the manufacturer intended. Using TX bolts is no longer a deterent manufacturers now use these bolts add hoc through production and are generally availible 'off the shelf'. There is no way past the snap bolt, bar a drill and the yoke removed in order to get a straight drive on it. To be honest you appear to have a certain amount of 'modern knowledge' and very little classic knowledge with what you said to me I have some problems with you dont remember any Mitsui employees within the 70's/80's the period you worked there nor show little understanding of the machines built by Yamaha during that period. Sorry to be a bit forward but you tend to be wrong a bit .... so if you want a Yamaha classic course let me know & I'll help you out.

Regards Jim

a cheap dremel only cost me $25 in New York Here, and the little cutting wheels this thing has is perfect for cutting off bolt heads! Awesome Tool, and small enough for almost any application on a bike (I use it a lot!)

-Hope This Helps With Your Stuck Bolt Heads!

a cheap dremel only cost me $25 in New York Here, and the little cutting wheels this thing has is perfect for cutting off bolt heads! Awesome Tool, and small enough for almost any application on a bike (I use it a lot!)

-Hope This Helps With Your Stuck Bolt Heads!

you probably wouldnt get a dremel type device in to cut the head off, the only way to get to it is to go staight into the top of the head hence drilling it out. I guess you could put a bit in the dremel, but what you want is slow, with a HSS bit and with a preference for torque.

So they are shear bolts in there then!!!!!!!

Bum!

Hey ho time to grab back my drill from the old man, and a new set of bolts.

Cheers all, I was out there scratching my head for a while. Thanks.

Oh and while I'm on the subject of head scratching, where exactly id the themostat housing supposed to be located?

The one on this bike is just hanging between the radiator and the engine, not mounted to anything, just dosn't seem right.

Cheers all

M

I know that on My '88 FZ600 that there is a lot of stuff bolted to the "oil Cooler', i'm not sure if your water-cooled FZR has an oil cooler, but it would only make sense that there should still be one within a five or so year difference, look for threaded holes around the radiator itself and front parts of the frame or block that look like something belongs in them... good luck man

I know that on My '88 FZ600 that there is a lot of stuff bolted to the "oil Cooler', i'm not sure if your water-cooled FZR has an oil cooler, but it would only make sense that there should still be one within a five or so year difference, look for threaded holes around the radiator itself and front parts of the frame or block that look like something belongs in them... good luck man

Cheers bud, I'll have a butchers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online