DT 175 LED indicators

nayruf
This post is 5498 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

I have a question does anybody know how to go about changing 6 volt indicator bulbs on my 1977 DT175 twin shock to LED’s, There is a classic car company in the US that markets some bulbs that would do for the front indicators but not for the back as with my rear indicators are side on and at $28 each with UK postage that would be too expensive.

Their web page tells that you can use their bulbs with no need modify the harness or use resistors if there is a normal bulb wired to the circuit also, as the DT has a normal bulb as the repeater in the tacho I could hopefully use that as the required resistor. I am after a brighter light with a faster flash rate and to take some of the load off the electrical system to the benefit of the other lights as they can go bright /dim as the indicators flash

< Does anybody have any idea’s>

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all

I have a question does anybody know how to go about changing 6 volt indicator bulbs on my 1977 DT175 twin shock to LED’s, There is a classic car company in the US that markets some bulbs that would do for the front indicators but not for the back as with my rear indicators are side on and at $28 each with UK postage that would be too expensive.

Their web page tells that you can use their bulbs with no need modify the harness or use resistors if there is a normal bulb wired to the circuit also, as the DT has a normal bulb as the repeater in the tacho I could hopefully use that as the required resistor. I am after a brighter light with a faster flash rate and to take some of the load off the electrical system to the benefit of the other lights as they can go bright /dim as the indicators flash

Throw the bloody things in the bin and use your arm. Far more reliable and TBH noticed by the tin boxes more, even at night too so long as your gloves have a bit of hi vis on em.

Throw the bloody things in the bin and use your arm. Far more reliable and TBH noticed by the tin boxes more, even at night too so long as your gloves have a bit of hi vis on em.

I would but in this day and age only you and I would understand the signals. the feds would chase me for not being in proper control or reckon I was using threatening gestures, the Tin boxes would think I was calling them past as I was turning right and I would end up in court for confusing the motorists

I would but in this day and age only you and I would understand the signals. the feds would chase me for not being in proper control or reckon I was using threatening gestures, the Tin boxes would think I was calling them past as I was turning right and I would end up in court for confusing the motorists

Your probably right. Although i did chuck mine out. They got smashed up so often off road i took em off. Then a smart arsed MOT man years back said if the fittings are there they need to be so i cut off the brackets, not had a problem since.

They were never really any good, i don't miss them but i can see why you would want to try LED lamps, but got to be honest i havent a clue how effective it would be as they are very sensitive. Be quite easy to blow them i would have thought.

Sorry cant help more.

Hello all

Hmmm,

TBH I would look at the bulbs in situ & xref them against the relay you may find swaping the bulbs & relay to a lower wattage (i.e 10w ~ 8w or 21w ~ 8w or 15w ~ 8w) and making sure the charging system is working correctly & the battery is good. Droping down to 8w will give you much brighter lamps (as long as the battery will stand it) but if the battery is no good the lamps will flash too fast as the charging system is supliying too much power to the DC system in order to charge the battery ... knacked battery may need 9v to charge it .. indicators switched on at this point will have 9v applied to the relay which will allow the indicators to flash to fast & too much draw from the battery charge circut.

Regards Jim

Hmmm,

TBH I would look at the bulbs in situ & xref them against the relay you may find swaping the bulbs & relay to a lower wattage (i.e 10w ~ 8w or 21w ~ 8w or 15w ~ 8w) and making sure the charging system is working correctly & the battery is good. Droping down to 8w will give you much brighter lamps (as long as the battery will stand it) but if the battery is no good the lamps will flash too fast as the charging system is supliying too much power to the DC system in order to charge the battery ... knacked battery may need 9v to charge it .. indicators switched on at this point will have 9v applied to the relay which will allow the indicators to flash to fast & too much draw from the battery charge circut.

Regards Jim

Thanks have tried using differing wattage bulbs, it looks like I can trade off the flash rate for brightness, Battery is a new one and the charging system looks to be working ok. Currently (bad pun) I get a flash every second which at the rate required for the MOT is ok. The problem is the combined draw of the lights and the brake light causes the flash rate to drop below the MOT requirement, Most MOT testers will pass the bike as is. But if I can find an option for better brighter lights then I would like to try it. I also realise that I could just leave the flashers as they are but for me a large percentage of the fun of bikes is to work on them.

Thanks have tried using differing wattage bulbs, it looks like I can trade off the flash rate for brightness, Battery is a new one and the charging system looks to be working ok. Currently (bad pun) I get a flash every second which at the rate required for the MOT is ok. The problem is the combined draw of the lights and the brake light causes the flash rate to drop below the MOT requirement, Most MOT testers will pass the bike as is. But if I can find an option for better brighter lights then I would like to try it. I also realise that I could just leave the flashers as they are but for me a large percentage of the fun of bikes is to work on them.

Hi,

so you changed the can to suit the bulbs.. i know new relays are there to sort out all watages but here is a chance an old machine may need the correct stuff attached to it

Regards Jim

Hi,

so you changed the can to suit the bulbs.. i know new relays are there to sort out all watages but here is a chance an old machine may need the correct stuff attached to it

Regards Jim

I must admit I have not changed the flasher relay, I still has the original 30 year old one. Might try to locate one of those first

Might just save me some time cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online