How do you know if you have tires with or without Tubes Also Gauge lights don't work on 82 xs400 SECA

nedj10
This post is 5502 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, Apologies for my constant string of newbie questions but I have got my xs400 seca running, shifting and breaking now as desired. But I think I am down to the last two things I need to make the bike a safe machine( safe ride sounds like something that could spark argument)

so question 1

Both the front and rear tire appear new, no dry rock cracks, plenty of tread. But they both have a slow leak. By slow I mean if I air them both up to 40 PSI, the will be down to 30 in 2 nights. The tires are Bridgestones a Battlax in front and a moto something or another in the rear. So I can know what to budget for how do I tell where the problem is?

question 2: With everything else (except the tires) working as designed the gauge lights will not illuminate, and just the bulbs behind the speed and tach, I already replaced the bulbs with new ones from the yamaha dealer, and went as far to put a multimeter on the wires down to the quick-connect behind the head light and found no voltage, is this a common issue with the XS400? I tried to find the wires of the same color under the seat but the only wires with blue/grey pair goes to the rear tail light and it appears to be working as expected(brakes lights as well).

Any help is appreciated, I have the haynes manual but before I started chasing schematics I thought I would ask.

thanks

Ned Williams

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ned.

1. Tyres that take tubes will have metal showing on the valve stem going right into the rim.

Tubeless tyres will show the metal going into a rubber boot at the rim.

Take the tyre vaves out and give them a wash and dry. screw them back in firmly but not too tight.

Pump up and put a bit of spit over the valve stem end where the air goes in. Any bubbles means a slow leak. Replace with new valves from your tyre dealer.

2. If your headlight works your instrument lights should have power. Check the earthing this is the most common electrical problem on a bike. Dirty or corroded earth connections. Doesn't hurt to give all the connections a bit of a clean with very fine wet & dry paper or some steel wool.

did you check the fuses?

seca's are tubeless I think but you can put a tube in if your stumped

drewps

The tires are tubeless thanks guys.

As for the guage lights, The fuses are all fine, and I took the seat and headlight off and started chasing wires, I think I might have found the problem but thought I would ask if this sound familer.

Under my seat I found a three wire quick connect, with one blue, one black, and one color I canot remmber.

Next to this connector I found a black, I assume ground wire with a double-female bullet connector.

the three wire quick connect has a black wire coming from the harness in the direction from the fuel tank, but it has no matching back on the other side of the connetor. To make mtters more interesting there is only 1 male bullet connector in the dual-female bullet.

The three wire quick connect when disconnected breaks the circuit to the tail light.

I am wonderig if the missing blade on the black wire in the quick connect should be going to a short jumper over to the missing male bullet connector. I tried to run a temporary jumper but it did not seem to have an effect on the gauge lights.

thanks for everyone;s help.

Ned

did you check the fuses?

seca's are tubeless I think but you can put a tube in if your stumped

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online