Speedo problems

This post is 5506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just got my XT350 on the road after re-building it from a field bike but I've a problem with the speedo not working.

The cable came with the speedo and it was supposed to be off an XT350, it all fits up ok but the speedo doesn't work.

I tried disconnecting the cable at the drive end and putting the drive pin on the cable into the cordless drill but this didn't turn the speedo so i re-connected the cable to the speedo drive and left the speedo end off, spun the wheel but the cable doesn't turn.

Also with the cable connected up to the speedo drive you can't turn the cable by hand so it is engaged.

Anyone got any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What makes you think its the cable?

The cable is intact and if you take the cable out completely and turn it, the other end turns and as i said when its inserted into the speedo drive you can't turn it at the top end so it si locating I think.

Analogue speedos driven by cable work on a drag cup principle. The cable turns and a magnet rotates in the head moving a cup with the needle on it. If the cable is located and the speedo does not turn with it, then you need a new head.

Yep, I have the same issue with my Ace at the moment.

The head inside the clocks is pooped. Not cheap either :angry:

I replaced the cable and drive unit on the hub first as they were the cheap options but to no avail :unsure:

Just got my XT350 on the road after re-building it from a field bike but I've a problem with the speedo not working.

The cable came with the speedo and it was supposed to be off an XT350, it all fits up ok but the speedo doesn't work.

I tried disconnecting the cable at the drive end and putting the drive pin on the cable into the cordless drill but this didn't turn the speedo so i re-connected the cable to the speedo drive and left the speedo end off, spun the wheel but the cable doesn't turn.

Also with the cable connected up to the speedo drive you can't turn the cable by hand so it is engaged.

Anyone got any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks

Hi HoggyF,

Xt350 how old ....? if its an old un with no electrics in site the drive at the wheel end needs to be checked out by spinning the wheel with the cable disconnected if the drive turns and the cable is intact the good old non electrical head has seen better days, but if the drive doesn't turn there is a chance that the tin plate drive tag in the wheel hub has broken or bent (incorrect fitting of the speedo drive to the hub) or the drive itself has siezed up ... can you tell us how old the bike is ?

Regards Jim

Its an 86 but don't know how old the speedo is as it came off an import bike. It seems unlikely that the speedo drive and clock has gone but I'm going to investigate tomorrow night.

I tried the digital speedo off my push bike on it but the magnet wont fit the XT spokes without cutting it to bits and knackering it.

Its an 86 but don't know how old the speedo is as it came off an import bike. It seems unlikely that the speedo drive and clock has gone but I'm going to investigate tomorrow night.

I tried the digital speedo off my push bike on it but the magnet wont fit the XT spokes without cutting it to bits and knackering it.

We had loads of drives go it wasn't the best idea ! Mind you fitting a digi speedo will cure it have a look at the Sigma sport units they are quite good !

Regards Jim

Are the sigma units a push bike speedo?

Do you know how to get a magentised bolt to fit the spokes? the push bike untis don't fit motorbike spokes coz the spokes are too thick.

Are the sigma units a push bike speedo?

Do you know how to get a magentised bolt to fit the spokes? the push bike untis don't fit motorbike spokes coz the spokes are too thick.

Hi

Sigma units are push bike units but the following is good :- The reed switch/pickup are connected to the fork via strong bands/zip ties rather than a cycle sized mount. The magnet supplied is easy adapted to fit a m/c sized spoke (you just have to gently open the mount outwards and fit a larger screw) . But dont obtain a sigma unit with cadence as you will have no use for that function and if you have line of sight between the sigma head and the reed switch (pick up) the wireless ones are cool.

Regards Jim

Stripped the speedo drive out today and it seized solid. Also tried the leccy drill again on the speedo cable connected to the speedo- no luck, reversed the drill and hey presto speedo does work - result. Speedo drive is sitting in penetrating oil now so hope i can get it apart and cleaned.

Stripped the speedo drive out today and it seized solid. Also tried the leccy drill again on the speedo cable connected to the speedo- no luck, reversed the drill and hey presto speedo does work - result. Speedo drive is sitting in penetrating oil now so hope i can get it apart and cleaned.

Hi Hoggy,

so the drive was at fault when you have it working dont forget to check the tag (washer) in the wheel as there is a big chance that you will need to replace this as the drive will have distroyed it.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online