Open face helmets..

mits007
This post is 5512 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I bought an open face helmet last week, and took the visor out - presumably its still "street legal?" as its not compromising the overall integrity of the helmet - supose its down to the failure modes of the helmet - i.e. i might have done myself a favour by removing it -

for instance, if I were to crash, a shard of the visor could poke an eye, or even 2, or en a pair of eyes, and a piuerced throat (hmmm - I know - pessimistic, but it could happen...)...

So tell me peeps, would I get pulled over for wearing my open face without the visor, and of course, with my terminator shades?!?!..

regards,

-Mits-

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In fact if your down merv's way you may be even get sprayed with the stuff!!!

I have one of thoses irridium helmets and they are great for day time but too dark in the dark and if you run into someone ...eek!

You will be absolutely fine as most ol' Bill haven't got a clue about the legislation for helmets, dark visors, open faced helmets or exhausts anyway! tee hee.

As long as you have a helmet on, i dont believe you are breaking any laws. I have a Roof Boxer - see avatar - and i often ride with the chin guard up as it is lovely in the sun. I have never been pulled and as i said - they haven't got a clue!

Hi there,

I bought an open face helmet last week, and took the visor out - presumably its still "street legal?" as its not compromising the overall integrity of the helmet - supose its down to the failure modes of the helmet - i.e. i might have done myself a favour by removing it -

The visor doesn't add anything in terms or structural stability - so as long as you removed it without damaging anything then you are fine. Visors are not compulsary, if you have one it must comply with the law. Sunglasses, however can be of any make/style etc as there is no legislation covering the use of these in terms of driving/riding as long as you are using them to protect your eyes from the effects of the sun/UV.

The laughable part is, if you have an illegal visor they can make you remove it and ride without any protection - Even the police have lobbied for a change in the law. Apparently those in Westminister think we are all too stupid to change our visors when it gets dark, so the law stands.

Fitting a tinted insert is also OK, as these can be removed - stupid rules these, I can change my visor (on the Shoei) in a minute with gloves on!).

for instance, if I were to crash, a shard of the visor could poke an eye, or even 2, or en a pair of eyes, and a piuerced throat (hmmm - I know - pessimistic, but it could happen...)...

So unlikely, you'll win the lottery first. Visors, when fitted aren't going to shatter in this way, they'll compress, distort etc but I've never heard of one smashing.

So tell me peeps, would I get pulled over for wearing my open face without the visor, and of course, with my terminator shades?!?!..

Not for wearing shades, or wearing an open face lid - they can pull you over for no reason at all, if they want to. If they do, stop like you mean to stop, kill the engine and get off the bike before the guys has got over to you. Be Nice. greet him/her with a good morning/afternoon/evening etc and let them kick off the conversation. Be Nice. The first 60 seconds makes all the difference between a telling off and a ticket (the old A' hole test - and you have to pass it).

If you disagree with what they are saying, say so, but be nice, do it in a calm rational fashion. Explain your viewpoint . If you know you are in the wrong admit it, you can get away with things but normally only on technicalities and you really have to know the loop holes, so if in doubt take it like a man, you've been caught out so accept it.

I got stopped for doing 98mph (a long time ago, when Police were properly trained, unlike todays fast tracks) and got away with a telling off and a nice slideshow of some dead people... :puke: .. It actually made me think, but I could have been all cocksure and ended up with lots of points and a day in court.

An informative and practical reply - and i love the reference to 'fast track coppers'...what is happening to this country eh!!?!?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online