Just picked up a xs 400

mdsims
This post is 5525 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, well as the title states I just picked up a 77 xs 400. I'm really digging the styling of this little machine. Here is a bad cell phone picture of the bike, I was surprised when I saw she had discs front and rear.

Unnamed.jpg

the best part is I only paid $200 for it.

Currently, I'm struggling to get it running. I've had it going a few times but it seemed to be lacking fuel and one cylinder was having trouble firing. So I pulled the carbs and noticed that one of the screw like pins was overtightened and the needle tip had broken off, jamming the hole shut. So now I'm looking for another set of carbs and I'll strip them all down and try to assemble a best parts set. I'll snag a rebuild kit somewhere along the way as well, I'd assume. I'm also trying to get a hold of the breather boxes, hose, and side panels. I've located all those parts but am still waiting on the seller. Also in order is a front caliper mount, new pads and new tires.

What is this I've read about some of the xs400's being DOHC?

I look forward to learning a lot more about this bike.

Cheers, Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: Matt, good ride there ( yes I'm biased)

DOHC is a later "euro styled" model from '81 and comes in two flavours 45 BHP or 34 bhp (usa market)

this has nothing to do with your SOHC model so be careful. There are also custom, heritage models sharing the same engine but with a different frame and longer forks.

Both my carbs had their pilot needles snapped off and I had someone push them through.

rebuild kits from here

:welcome: Matt, good ride there ( yes I'm biased)

DOHC is a later "euro styled" model from '81 and comes in two flavours 45 BHP or 34 bhp (usa market)

this has nothing to do with your SOHC model so be careful. There are also custom, heritage models sharing the same engine but with a different frame and longer forks.

Both my carbs had their pilot needles snapped off and I had someone push them through.

rebuild kits from here

Sweet. Thanks for the info. Question, did the needles being stuck in there mess up the holes and flow of fuel? I had planned to have to get one new carb but if all I need is a rebuild kit, I'd be stoked.

Sweet. Thanks for the info. Question, did the needles being stuck in there mess up the holes and flow of fuel? I had planned to have to get one new carb but if all I need is a rebuild kit, I'd be stoked.

they did enlarge the hole a bit, but new needles will compensate and I've had no problems!!

most carbs will be worn by now anyway, so get the kits

they did enlarge the hole a bit, but new needles will compensate and I've had no problems!!

most carbs will be worn by now anyway, so get the kits

well after a 220 mile (355km) trip home and a quick visit to my dad's shop......all the stuck and stripped pieces have been removed from the carbs. Stripped pieces are thanks to a previous owner who decided to attack them with poor quality tools.

Rebuild kits for the carbs have been ordered and I'm ordering new carb mounting boots, mini k&n air filters, and the stock side panels in the morning.

Still looking for a front caliper mount and new brake pads if anyone has extras of either or a cheap source on the pads I'd appreciate it.

Also, I pulled the pedals, pegs, and random other rusted parts that were easy to get to and sandblasted them. New paint should spruce them up a bit.

I'll get better pictures once I get back home and get the old lady washed up and put back together. Should look mighty good.

You should be able to find pads on ebay, try this link: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XS650-xs-650-brake-pads-for-1977-84,-also-fits-a_W0QQitemZ300297848027QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090303?IMSfp=TL090303138010r13928

Still looking for a front caliper mount and new brake pads if anyone has extras of either or a cheap source on the pads I'd appreciate it.

From what I have seen/heard all the XS models use the same calipers and pads.

From what I have seen/heard all the XS models use the same calipers and pads.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Here is where the bike stands:

Work I've done:

removed ignition and had a key made. (previous owner lost the keys)

washed the bike

polished chrome with steel wool

tore apart the cluster area for a good cleaning and wiring check

stripped, soaked and cleaned the carbs with compressed air

removed the seat and cover to make a pattern

drained all brake fluid, flushed lines, replaced with new fluid.

replaced misc dash lights

sandblasted and painted pegs, pedals, misc stuff

Parts on order:

brake pads

carb rebuild kits

carb mounts

mini k+n air filters (cheaper than stock)

side panels

Parts needed to be found:

clutch handle with perch and adjuster screw

front caliper mounting bracket

rubberized canvas for a new seat

If anyone has the parts I listed as needed, specifically the clutch perch and caliper mount let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Pics to follow by this weekend.