My First Offroading Weekend - Any Tips?

Slippery When Wet
This post is 5524 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Mate of mine is doing a charity ride to Peru and one of her sponsors is the Army.

The White Helmets donation to the ride is a free off road training weekend at Bovington Camp in Dorset......

and I have been invited along :yay:

Always wanted to have a go at this, I love mountain biking and skiing and was always up to my neck in muck as a kid so I reckon this is going to be a fun weekend. Just waiting for the bumpf to come through the post, but any experienced mud skidders on here can offer some words of wisdom so I get the most out of the 2 days ? :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've been riding trials bike since approx 6 years old, my main advice would be just to enjoy the day.

If you fall, get up and keep going. Dont worry about being embarassed, everyone will prob take a visit to the ground at some point.

Oh, and try not to lose your temper - you'll only try to go too hard & end up on your arse in spectacular style!!

Have fun

The only way to experience it and learn about it is to just do it!

Not sure what they are plannin gto do with you, but I magine it'll be fairly concise. Liten to what you are told, try to remember it but don't worry when you fall off (and you will). If you can master cornering whilst on your feet then you've made it (it takes some guts the first time!!)

Ruts - I've never met a single trail rider that has never hated ruts ! When you're in them you're in them don't fight them but just keep going - they will take you to where the rut runs out, of that you can be sure (could be all kinds of a mess at the end mind but ..) keep your toes pointing inwards, so that it's your heals that catch first, this way you will keep your knees in the right shape.

Falling off - it happens so fast (even at 20mph) that you'll not have time to react, if you stay loose you'll recover quickly and it wont hurt until the next day!

The guys will talk to you about your gearing, clutch, and balance - listen, learn (if you can) but abouve all just go out there and enjoy it.

One thing I would say, remember your friend needs all the training she can get, try to make sure they aren't spening too much time with you, when she is in more need. Just treat it as a very good opportunity to learn about your riding, you will be a much better road rider after a few days on the dirt.

Good Luck, and when you've bought your WR450 you'll be able to do it every spare day you have!

The only main things i can think of are

1. enjoy it!

and

2. look ahead of you to see whats coming as you will be suprised by holes, ruts etc :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online