30,000 high mileage on a yzf600?

jcs327
This post is 5504 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am a newbie to sportbikes but picked up a 2000 yzf600 for 2500$. the bike is tight, starts and runs great and rides out good. no major cosmetic damage other than usual wear for a 2000 model. it has 30,000 miles on it though. i am wondering what the average mileage on others out there are. the bike has new tires, chain and sprokets and a fresh service. seems like it was well taken care of. i want to take a road trip to deals gap on this bike (about 450 miles one way for me). the bike is sounds except for the miles. would it be a good idea to take the trip on this bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there mate, sounds like a good buy, if it hasnt been thrashed to roughly and the engine sounds good with a good service history it will be fine, the tappets wear quicker on the 600 yamahas than most others so if theres light tapping from the cylinder head then at some point you mite want to get them checked but should go on for another 15-20,000 miles no worries

:welcome: to the forum JCS

30k on a 9 y/o bike?.....just got broke in! :D

If you look after that beast properly......you'll be surprised how far it'll go before anything major rear's it's ugly head. ;)

Great ride for a trip to the "Gap" :thumb:

That's barely out of nappies!

My YZF600R Thundercat had almost 80k miles on it when it was stolen and it ran as sweet as when it was new.

I've also had an FZR400RR with over 120k on the clock.

thanks for the input. I know the cruisers put alot of miles on them but I noticed most used sport bikes have low mileage so that kind of worried me. i bought the yzf600 from a guy who just lost his job and needed the money. the bike rides great, no engine noise, no leaking header pipes, i wound it out in second gear to see if it would jump out of gear and it held fine. I cant wait until a warm day so i can put some miles on it. thanks again.

www.yzf600r.com/

Try this site for JUST yzf-600R stuff.

It's very informative about Thundercats.

chris

• 5 weeks later...

hey im also pretty new to the thundercat, i have had mine for bout 1 month now. i was looking at two at the time one on a r'reg with 30k and one on a p'reg with 16k. the r'reg had a few things extra which i wonted but was attracted to the p'reg just cause of the mileage, it has its service history so its not clocked.

just had service - oil, filters, spark plugs, carbs cleaned and balanced, new chain and sprockets.

i was worried bout the box but the same as you i give it some in second on the test ride and it didnt pop out so thats good its just a little harder getting it in second than other gears but only just. after a week or two started riding a lil funny i thought to box was on the way out but it was just the chain, it was knackered. all good now.

role on summer!

this is no word of a lie but my mates fazer has 204567.7 miles on it as he keeps traveling to poland and back on it and that is still running sweet as a nut but obviously he has had it serviced lol:D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online