SR125 speedo problem

fortmap
This post is 5577 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I'm new to bikes. I did my CBT and went and bought a 1982 SR125 that seems to be in generally good shape. :)

Here's a picture of me, the proud owner:

sr125.jpg

The one problem is that the speedo doesn't work properly. When you start moving slowly, it seems to be ok until you approach 30mph, then suddenly the

needle shoots up and down rapidly, as if it were a rev counter. And then, a little while afterwards, it'll be all the way at the maximum level, even though I'm only doing around 30mph.

When I stopped at a junction, I watched it very slowly drop back down again.

As I say, I'm new to this lark, but I read a few things about the speedo. I know there is a drive component, a cable, and the speedo head that tells you the speed.

My current plan is to get a replacement speedo off of ebay, fit that, and see if it works.

So, to prevent me buying something unnecessarily, does anybody know what the problem might be?

I've also noticed that there are two types of SR125 speedo heads. The flat-style one that my bike has, and a cylindrical alarm-clock shaped one. Does anybody know whether they are interchangeable? There's an alarm-clock style one on ebay at the moment, you see.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

3 speedo cables went to the pub. they waited outside and 1 went in to be served.

" 3 pints of bitter please" said the 1st speedo cable.

"your a speedo cable aren't you?" said the barkeep

"yes" said the 1st speedo cable.

" get out, I don't serve speedo cables" said the barkeep

the 2nd went in and the same happened to him.

when he went outside to the other speedo cables, the 3rd one said wait here and rubbed his cable all over the road till it frayed and for good measure turned himself inside out into a knot.

" 3 pints of bitter please" said the 3rd speedo cable.

"your a speedo cable aren't you?" said the barkeep

" no said the 3rd speedo cable, I'm a frayed knot"

wa wa waaaaaaa!!!!

:welcome: to the madhouse

• 2 weeks later...

That was a very bad joke, well done.

The snow finally melted enough that I could get out and fiddle with the bike. I figured out how to get the cable out, and put it all back together again. Which is good, as I learnt something new. :)

There seemed to be no sign of fraying, so perhaps it just needs re-greasing.

That was a very bad joke, well done.

See Drewps, theres no foolin fortmap ;)

Heres a good bar joke though...

A snail walks into a bar and the barman tells him there's a strict policy about having snails in the bar and so kicks him out.

A year later the same snail appears and says,

"What did you do that for? "

:D

A snail walks into a bar and the barman tells him there's a strict policy about having snails in the bar and so kicks him out.

that's the 3rd time you posted this joke have you got alzeimers ?

think thats bad then wait till you get to the end of this one

A rabbit walks into a pub and says to the barman "Can I have a pint of beer and a Ham and Cheese Toastie"

The barman is amazed but gives the rabbit a pint of beer and a ham and cheese toastie.

The rabbit drinks the beer and eats the toastie, he then leaves.

The following night the rabbit returns and again asks for a Pint of Beer and a Ham and Cheese Toastie.

The barman, now intrigued by the rabbit and the extra drinkers in the pub (because word gets round) gives the rabbit the pint and the toastie.

The rabbit consumes them and leaves.

The next night, the pub is packed, in walks the rabbit and says "A pint of beer and a Ham and Cheese Toastie, please barman"

The crowd is hushed as the barman gives the rabbit his pint and toastie and then burst into applause as the rabbit wolfs them down then walks out.

The next night there is standing room only in the pub, coaches have been laid on for the crowds of patrons attending, the barman is making more money in one week than he did all last year.

In walks the rabbit and says, "A Pint of Beer and a Ham and Cheese Toastie, please barman", smiling and accepting the tributes of the masses.

The barman says, "I'm sorry rabbit, old mate, old mucker but we are right out of them Ham and Cheese Toasties"

The rabbit looks aghast, the crowd has quietened to almost a whisper, when the barman clears his throat nervously and says, "We do have a very nice Cheese and Onion Toastie"

The rabbit looks him in the eye and says, "Are you sure I will like it"?

The masses bated breath is ear shatteringly silent.

The barman, with a roguish smile says, "Do you think that I would let down one of my best friends, I know you'll love it"

"Ok" says the rabbit," I'll have a Pint of Beer and a Cheese and Onion Toastie"

The pub erupts with glee as the rabbit quaffs the beer and guzzles the toastie, he then waves to the crowd and leaves.

NEVER TO RETURN!!!!!!

One year later in the now impoverished public house, the barman (who has only served 4 drinks tonight, 3 of which were his) calls time.

When he is cleaning down the now empty bar, he sees a small white form, floating above the bar.

The barman says, "Who are you"

To which he is answered,"I am the ghost of the rabbit that used to frequent your public house"

The barman says,"I remember you, you made me famous, you would come in every night and have a Pint of Beer and a Ham and Cheese Toastie, masses came to see you and this place was famous"

The rabbit says, "Yes I know"

The barman said, "I remember, on your last night we didn't have any Ham and Cheese Toasties, you had a Cheese and Onion one instead"

The rabbit said "Yes, you promised me that I would love it"

The barman said "You never came back, after that fateful night, what happened"

"I DIED", said the Rabbit.

"Blimey " said the barman,"what from".

After a short pause.

(keep scrolling)

.or possibly a long pause

The rabbit said... "Mixing me toasties "

oh speedo cable turn is the inner cable bent at all that will make the speedo jump try turning it in the outer cable at each end watching the other to see if it is bent

merv

oh speedo cable turn is the inner cable bent at all that will make the speedo jump try turning it in the outer cable at each end watching the other to see if it is bent

merv

Nope, it's not bent. I took the inner cable all of the way out and put it back in again. I'll be getting some grease and seeing if that helps.

Descartes walks into a bar, and the bartender asks "Would you like a beer?"

Descartes replies "I think not" and POOF! he vanishes.

Nope, it's not bent. I took the inner cable all of the way out and put it back in again. I'll be getting some grease and seeing if that helps.

Descartes walks into a bar, and the bartender asks "Would you like a beer?"

Descartes replies "I think not" and POOF! he vanishes.

I think that it will be your speedo head not the cable

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online