RS 100 wiring problem!

mechanicojoe
This post is 5534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys,

Im new here, my name is joe and im 13 but im not new to mechanics or fabricating, so if your explaining something to me dont think i wont get it. any ways i have a 1977 Yamaha RS 100. its in ok condition. i have not got a chance to start it yet because the splined shaft for the kick start has been pushed in side the cover. But what my main problem is the wiring on this thing!

I hooked up a new battery and saw wjat worked and didnt. what works is the tail/brake light, front/back signals and horn. thats it. The lights in the speedo where burnt out so i out new ones in and the only light working in that is the yellow Power/signal lights light. nothing else works. i dont think power is getting to the head light area. i noticed that ther was two wires coming out of the head light encloser and there was nothing that it pluged into. so if anyone knows where i can get a wiring diagram or someone who has an RS100 and get some pics of the wiring for me! thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sure i replied to this 2 days ago :S

anyway,

i had a similar thing with my 78, and i know this may sound odd, but my lights only work when the bike's running. seem to get their power from the generator and not the battery.

as for wiring diagrams, i have the manual somewhere, will hunt it out and pdf the pages for you.

TIM

sure i replied to this 2 days ago :S

Sorry it could be due to the change of servers in the last 48 hhours

A lot of small-bore japanese bikes with 6v electrical systems work the same way, the lights (except the tailight and neutral) will not work unless the bike is running, in fact most electrical stuff on it work work for diddly unless you are actually in motion. In other words, with the bike running, at a stop, you will not be able to use your horn and all lights will be dim. Weak electrics are standard.

at a stop, you will not be able to use your horn and all lights will be dim. Weak electrics are standard.

yeah, the headlights on mine definately vary in brightness due to RPM.

couldn't find the manual last night, but i called my dad an he found it in my shed back there. he's posting it to me so will pdf the wiring diagrams soon as it arrives.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1973 enduro LT2 with the same issue. However, I have been able to start it and the headlight still does not turn on. I can see inside very well and the bulb appears to be ok. I have removed the bulb and checked the wires to see if anything came loose and I did not find anything. I am new to motorcycles and this is my first so please explain solutions well. Thanks for your time and suggestions!!!!

Nick

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online