YBR125 neutral problems

AFCJosh
This post is 5222 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I noticed there have been a few gear problems reported with this bike here, and I'm getting the impression that its just a bad gearbox.

I have a 2008 YBR and im the second owner, the first didnt use it much however he did change the oil himself.

and just recently i have found it amazingly difficult to get into neutral, the problem varies from lots of resistance in teh gear stick to just skipping straight to 2nd......its only been the last two days its been happening, and during my journeys i have put the bike into neutral at traffic lights and there have been no problems, however i get to work/home and it just wont do it, i had to give in and turn the bike off while holding the clutch in first gear.

does anyone know what could be the problem here?

I'm starting to think it could be my riding style as i have a Honda XR125 (that is currently in my dads barn waiting to be taken apart) that wont go into 3rd at all.

Is there anything i could be doing to do this to my bikes?

just to note, my gear change routine is (how i was tought) roll off the accelerator pull clutch in, change gear, let out clutch and accelerate.

Please help, i really dislike the bus.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I noticed there have been a few gear problems reported with this bike here, and I'm getting the impression that its just a bad gearbox.

I have a 2008 YBR and im the second owner, the first didnt use it much however he did change the oil himself.

and just recently i have found it amazingly difficult to get into neutral, the problem varies from lots of resistance in teh gear stick to just skipping straight to 2nd......its only been the last two days its been happening, and during my journeys i have put the bike into neutral at traffic lights and there have been no problems, however i get to work/home and it just wont do it, i had to give in and turn the bike off while holding the clutch in first gear.

does anyone know what could be the problem here?

I'm starting to think it could be my riding style as i have a Honda XR125 (that is currently in my dads barn waiting to be taken apart) that wont go into 3rd at all.

Is there anything i could be doing to do this to my bikes?

just to note, my gear change routine is (how i was tought) roll off the accelerator pull clutch in, change gear, let out clutch and accelerate.

Please help, i really dislike the bus.

Thanks

Hi,

I guess the oil was replaced with the correct grade as incorrect grades could cause the clutch to slip or drag dependant on what has been put in ! if the bike is jumping neutral from first to second it could well be a dragging clutch with have to put too much pressure on the lever to move it ! Or the selector spring maybe weak without seening the bike its well difficult to diagnose

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim

Ill try and replace the oil tomorrow, and hopefully it might just do the trick.

Is a selector spring a big job to do? by big I mainly mean expensive.

Hi,

it should be not too expensive, to do at the outside 2 hours labour + oil and the spring & gasket would not cost that much. costs may increase if your local shop has big overheads and charge £50 per hour. From a DIY point of view you would perhaps have to remove the clutch and need to buy the tools to do that which may be more than getting someone else to effect the repair. I'm guessing that owner #1 put the wrong oil in the engine (as it was cheap ?) and the correct spec will fix the problem.

Regards Jim

It may be a simple clutch cable adjustment needed. Try that first before you go spending cash.

Thanks all especially Jim, really appreciate your help

I changed the oil which was very thin so i think that was the problem, and adjusted the clutch so it engages earlier.

and all is fine.

once again thanks alot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I’m new to bikes and have a Yamaha YBR 125…

I have noticed that if I put the bike into neutral from second gear, I then struggle to engage first again.

If however I put the bike in neutral from first gear then I never have a problem getting back in to first.

Is it me or the bike? Should I avoid going from second to neutral, and instead go all the way down to first and then back up to neutral?

Thanks.

• 11 months later...

I have noticed that if I put the bike into neutral from second gear, I then struggle to engage first again.

If however I put the bike in neutral from first gear then I never have a problem getting back in to first.

Thanks.

me having the same problem on 2008 model. new.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online