2003 R1 - Jet Washer & Oil Light...

TheSaffer
This post is 5594 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

This morning I took my bike for a wash at my usual hand washer. He uses a jet washer as well, but he knows to be careful as the local bike mechanic taught him well...

Anyways, I have taken my bike there many times before, but today when I rode home, I noticed that my oil light is on and it is staying on.

Got home checked the oil level etc. All OK.

Now I've heard that this is only a low oil level indicator light and not a low oil pressure indicator, but I would just like to make sure.

I have to work tonight and I think it might just simply be that a bit of water made it's way to the wiring and that the light will go out once the bike had some time to stand and dry.

My question is this: If I get to my bike tonight and the light still stays on, the oil level is good etc... will it be OK to ride to work tonight?

I will get it checked out Monday morning if it is still on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I'm off to bed now... will check in here when I wake up...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Really helpful response OG :blink:

Personally, I would suggest checking all of the electrical terminal connections for any water ingress, including the back of the clocks.

Cheers for the reply, just got up!

Will have a look in a minute, just crossing my fingers now...

I think I might just go for it, will let you know a little later.

Thanks again.

Just took my keys coffee and cigs to the garage, started her up and the red light is gone!

Ran the bike for about 5 mins and the oil light stays off.

So I reccon it should be fine.

Thank you very much for all the replies, If the light had stayed on, I would have taken your advice and chanced it.

Off to work now, only 40 mins late now...

:blink:

I doubt if anyone is going to tell you...Dont worry, just go right on and ride with the oil light on even if it is likely that water caused it! More likely to get advise to stop using the jet wash and get the sponge and brushes out.

Really helpful response OG :blink:

Just took my keys coffee and cigs to the garage, started her up and the red light is gone!

Ran the bike for about 5 mins and the oil light stays off.

So I reccon it should be fine.

Thank you very much for all the replies, If the light had stayed on, I would have taken your advice and chanced it.

Off to work now, only 40 mins late now...

:blink:

Somehow when you say "really helpful advice" i dont think you mean it! I have read this again and stand by my advise not to power wash the bike, not worth the bother it caused from what i've seen. ;)

I know what you are saying, but I commute every day into London, I am just trying to get as much of the grit etc. out of my bike, unfortunately the jet washer is my best bet to get into most of the nooks and crannies.

I really don't mind washing it myself too... in the summer just before a ride!

Well, the light went on and off during the ride home...

This morning on the way home all seems fine, will get it checked out and post the mechanic's ferdict here for those who care...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online