Rusty Chain

Kirkie
This post is 5597 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What is the best thing to lubricate a Rusty Chain and Brake Discs? This has been caused from excessive washing.

Also what is the best thing to prevent this from happening again?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

DON'T lubricate brake disc!!!!!! I'm not joking, some bastard told my young son the cure for his squeeky brake was oiling the disc, he had no idea and no brakes after that. The rust will come off when you use it, or you rub it down wi emery paper.

Soak chain in Parafin or Diesel overnight, then clean with a stiff brush checking the links as you go.

Put proper chain lube on it.

Yes, Get the back wheel in the air (Paddock stand/Main stand)

I can see this costing me a lot of money then as I don't have one of them either...

Looks like you'l ave to do a section then wheel the bike along a bit. i neglected mi chain this time last year i now ave a hole in mi arse cheek to remind me and the repair bill was around £500 insurance dont pay fer neglect!!

Cheers I will give it a go tomorrow... Is there a product you can buy off the shelf?

Howdy Kirkie, there is a chain lube I've used from our local merchant, it's a wax lube (oo-er), so it's not too sticky, so all the kak won't stick to it.

Similar to this product for cleaning before lubeing

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle...t_prod/80/17629

Hope this helps

Yes, Get the back wheel in the air (Paddock stand/Main stand)

You dont have to get a paddock stand to lube the chain.

Spray it, then push the bike forward (or backwards), spray again, push forward (or backwards) etc etc till its all lubed.

I can see this costing me a lot of money then as I don't have one of them either...

See above.....or invest in a scottoiler.

I have been told about a product called AC 90, has anyone used this before?

http://www.bazaarbuilder.com/cgi-bin/insto...rchant=instoneb

Just got to your local Halfords/motorcycle shop and ask if you're not sure.

Wurth is one that i recommend but lots of people use lots of different ones, and they all do the same job.

DON'T lubricate brake disc!!!!!!

OK, this is dangerous, and follow this at your own risk - but on my dirt bike that's exacly what I do. I'll explain:

After a ride, especially at this time of year, when I get back there's no time to clean the bike - so now I soak the whole bike in the Scottoiler F365 and it keeps the whole bike (brakes and all) from developing rust spots. At some point after that I do give the bike a good clean with muc-off, and pay particular attention to the break discs using brake cleaner prior to a going over with muc-off. After that it gets a blow dry with the air-line.

This works, I've been doing it for a few years, and my dirt bike has no rust anywhere! (and the brakes work fine!).

Note: My dirt bike does get a service every 2 months, but it does lead a very hard life...... about 100kms off road a month.

My other bikes just get the muc-off treatment along with a blow dry - I must have the only bikes that get a weekly wash & Blow dry!!!

Break cleaner is good at removing the left over salt deposits, but it's not a cheap option and can cost you £3 a wash.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online