Another New Boy!

choldy
This post is 5593 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I just thought I'd say hello. I just got a 98 FZS600, I actually bought it new and sold it onto a friend. He's had it laid up for a couple of years in his garage so when he said he wanted rid I bought it back. It's a lot worse for wear, my mate used it for commuting for a couple of years, didn't wash it at all I think in that time and then left it corroding to itself in the back of his garage for another two years. So far every little job is a big struggle against the demon corrosion. All visible fixings are just balls of rust, downpipes and collector are held together by rust, engine is practically bare furry aluminium, battery dead, tyres illegal and one visible swing arm mark of chain adjustment left! All in all a very sad sight to see considering the pampered and polished baby I handed over :(

Still, it will give me something to keep me occupied between now and the summer, will sort her out bit by bit as funds become available with a target of June/July to get MOT and on the road. First stop new battery and fuel system flush so I can get the engine running :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hiya and welcome.........................

You sure he was/is a mate ????

The Fazer is a fine bike and i am sure you will sort it out with a little elbow grease and time :rolleyes:

Good thing is, there are plenty of parts on EBay for the 98/2003 Fazers so no problems if you find something completly shagged, you should be able to pick up an original set of pipes quite cheaply or a new set in stainless for about £180, check out the Fazer site linky guy on there goes under the name of "deefer" sells a few spares and can also supply batteries at a good price.

I changed all the fixing on the wifes Fazer to Stainless, again, these where all bought on EBay

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes he is still a mate even after mistreating the bike so badly :) It was the first bike I ever owned from new, I regretted selling it on and am glad to get her back to be honest as I enjoyed her so much. I just had an uncontrollable bout of CC envy and bought a Buell!

Although she is a cosmetic mess at the moment she only has 24k on the clock so lots of miles and smiles left in her yet. And with a bit of TLC I'll get her back to shiney and stock over the next few months as I can afford the parts needed. My mate put a few parts on it for commuting that I won't need so the oxford hot grips and nearly new Scottoiler will be appearing on an ebay add near you soon to go toward important stuff like legal tyres!

My mate also put a carbon fibre undertray, so if you know anyone with an unmolested/uncut undertray that would like a swap for my modified back end I'd like to get back to stock with a proper mudguard (old man I know :D )

Happy new year to you all!

OK here are a couple of pictures... The second picture doesn't do her justice really, I'd just washed her, in reality she looks as if she has just been lifted from the sea bed corrosion wise! :rolleyes:

DSCN0694.jpg

DSCN0688.jpg

Hi All

I just thought I'd say hello. I just got a 98 FZS600, I actually bought it new and sold it onto a friend. He's had it laid up for a couple of years in his garage so when he said he wanted rid I bought it back. It's a lot worse for wear, my mate used it for commuting for a couple of years, didn't wash it at all I think in that time and then left it corroding to itself in the back of his garage for another two years. So far every little job is a big struggle against the demon corrosion. All visible fixings are just balls of rust, downpipes and collector are held together by rust, engine is practically bare furry aluminium, battery dead, tyres illegal and one visible swing arm mark of chain adjustment left! All in all a very sad sight to see considering the pampered and polished baby I handed over :(

Still, it will give me something to keep me occupied between now and the summer, will sort her out bit by bit as funds become available with a target of June/July to get MOT and on the road. First stop new battery and fuel system flush so I can get the engine running :D

hi choldy good luck riding through the winter on the fzs ! to stop the furring up of the alloy parts give them a rub over with some meguiars nxt metal polish it contains anti corrision material.

golfdub

Thanks golfdub I'll take a look for the NXT, I use the Meguirs polishes generally and find them excellent, is the NXT specifically metal treatment?

hi choldy the polish is available at most good autostores eg halfords but check the label for NXT as meguires do a few melal polishes in tubs. I've been polishing metal for over 20 yrs and ive found that for normal riding (thrashing the wheels off it) this polish seems to deal with water and road salt pretty good. After youve polished the metal parts spray them with a small amount of furniture polish as this contains silicon and should also help keep the metal sealed for a bit longer wipe the residue off when its dry. only advisable on parts not exposed to very high temps like exhaust header pipes .Hope this helps mate ? oh please check the general chat section " metal polisher " ive stuck a few pics in to show what i do my e-mail address is there if you need help or advise.

golfdub