FZR 600 Advice Please

Michelle
This post is 5620 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

While I am sorting out my clutch, I am doing the valves at the same time and I got the top off today to check the gaps and they should be 0.21. I cannot get that feeler guage in, only one of them a 0.15 and some 0.10 ( Sorry this is Exhaust valves ) and the other ones not even that . Why would the gap be so small and none of them at 0.21. If anything, I would think the gap to be bigger for wear and tear ?? . I have not measured the front ones yet . Could anyone give me some advice please.

Many thanks

Michelle.x

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

While I am sorting out my clutch, I am doing the valves at the same time and I got the top off today to check the gaps and they should be 0.21. I cannot get that feeler guage in, only one of them a 0.15 and some 0.10 ( Sorry this is Exhaust valves ) and the other ones not even that . Why would the gap be so small and none of them at 0.21. If anything, I would think the gap to be bigger for wear and tear ?? . I have not measured the front ones yet . Could anyone give me some advice please.

Many thanks

Michelle.x

Hi Michelle,

the valve clearences will tighten as the valve & seat wear the adjuster shim and cam do not wear at the same rate. I tend to set mine a loose as I can. BTW is your FZ an aircooled or watercooled one ?

Regards Jim

Hi

Its water cooled, Sorry I have my last post wrong, the front valves are spot on. The intake valves should be 0.11 but pot 1 is 0.10 and 0.08 / pot 2 is 0.14 and 0.14 / pot 3 is 0.08 and 0.10 / pot 4 is 0.10 and 0.10.

You would think they would have an 0.11 pad /shim so you can just put in. Do you think i should order 8 valve covers as well ?? . Do the pads / shims go flatter with wear ??. I am asking this cos maybe I should purchase a michrometer?? not sure. I think this should be done cos 0.08 is just to tight so i will just have to see what the pad numbers are.

Many thanks and anymore advice would be very greatfull.

Michelle.x

Hi

Its water cooled, Sorry I have my last post wrong, the front valves are spot on. The intake valves should be 0.11 but pot 1 is 0.10 and 0.08 / pot 2 is 0.14 and 0.14 / pot 3 is 0.08 and 0.10 / pot 4 is 0.10 and 0.10.

You would think they would have an 0.11 pad /shim so you can just put in. Do you think i should order 8 valve covers as well ?? . Do the pads / shims go flatter with wear ??. I am asking this cos maybe I should purchase a michrometer?? not sure. I think this should be done cos 0.08 is just to tight so i will just have to see what the pad numbers are.

Many thanks and anymore advice would be very greatfull.

Michelle.x

hi Michelle,

I guess you have the manual for the bike with the pad sizing info in but bear in mind you have to get the cams out to change the shims .. I don't know how much tech knowledge you have but if you have not worked on Yamaha engines this may be a little difficult to do (on rebuild get the valve timing wrong and = loadsa cash). If you need the pdf let me know @ I'll send it

Regards Jim

Hi Jim

This is my first time. I am only going to take the back crank out and I thought as long as its all setup when I take it out and I put it in the same, everything should be tip top. So would I have to check the timing then with one of them light thing me bobs...lol??

Michelle.

Hi Jim

Well my bike is still in bits, just waiting for the shims. I did not get a pdf but I think I am ok. It will be nice to put it all back together next week.

Many thanks for your help.

Michelle.x

Well , I am a very happy bunny cos my bike is now running.... :lol: .....so I have give myself a pat on the back cos for me , that was a big job, doing the valves.

Not bad for women.

Michelle.x

Well , I am a very happy bunny cos my bike is now running.... :lol: .....so I have give myself a pat on the back cos for me , that was a big job, doing the valves.

Not bad for women.

Michelle.x

How did the cam removal go ? & I guess you retimed the bike correctly

Regards Jim

Hi Jim

I did not retime it but its running fine and that will be a job for another day. It was easy taking it apart, most things are :lol: When I changed the shims I needed to, and I went to put the camshafts back on, They would not go back on cos there was no slack in the cam chain, so after trying and more trying, I came into the house and shed a few tears :lol: and had a think to myself, I have started something I cannot finish. Then I went outside, had a little think about things, then the brain storm came , take the chain tensioner out :rolleyes: DOR Then it went back together. I did have to take the caps off a few times untill I was happy the lobes were in the right place. Then given it a final check one more time and happy everthing is where it should be, put it all back together. My engine did not go bang. Happy days as they say.

Michelle.x

Hi Dan

Hope you are well. Yes still fixing it.....lol..... fix one thing and then something else goes wrong... :lol: . Have a nice Christmas everyone. Best wishs.

Michelle.x

Hi Jim

I did not retime it but its running fine and that will be a job for another day. It was easy taking it apart, most things are :lol: When I changed the shims I needed to, and I went to put the camshafts back on, They would not go back on cos there was no slack in the cam chain, so after trying and more trying, I came into the house and shed a few tears :lol: and had a think to myself, I have started something I cannot finish. Then I went outside, had a little think about things, then the brain storm came , take the chain tensioner out :rolleyes: DOR Then it went back together. I did have to take the caps off a few times untill I was happy the lobes were in the right place. Then given it a final check one more time and happy everthing is where it should be, put it all back together. My engine did not go bang. Happy days as they say.

Michelle.x

Hi Michelle

oh ok you got it right ... the pdf failed for some reason ... it would appear your email address would not take a 40Mb attachment .... I could send it in chunks if you like

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online