Any help would be nice...

ben1991
This post is 5626 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi my names Ben and im 17 i own a Yamaha DT125R, 07plate and i was wondering how to fill up the reserve tank, if there even is a reserve tank iv checked the manual and yet im still boggled as to how it works, if any has any suggestions on this quetsion then im open to all valid answers. Thanks in advance Ben

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum Ben ;)

Lets see if we can help ya.....

A lot of new riders think that there is a "reserve tank" on a motorcycle which is actually a separate tank from the main tank, but it isnt.

This picture shows you how the tank is actually set up:

tank-illus.png

The yellow arrow points to the petcock intakes (or straws).

The blue area is the "fuel reserve."

The red area is unusable fuel. T

he white area above the blue, inside the tank, is the "normal" fuel.

There is no separate reserve tank.

Most bikes have only one fuel tank (its that big metal thingy you straddle when you get on yer bike and sometimes slap with yer knackers :lol: )

Most bikes that have a "reserve" tank will have 3 (or possibly 4) settings - On, Off, and Reserve

The OFF position shuts off fuel from the tank to the carburetors, and is how you want to leave the bike if it's going to sit for a long time.

The ONposition is where it should be set for normal riding. This setting allows the fuel from roughly the top 80% of the tank to flow to the engine. The way it does this is by putting a tube a few inches up into the tank, so it can't reach the fuel on the very bottom.

The RESERVE position is just like finding a longer straw. It allows you to get that last 20% of the fuel in the tank. It's not a separate tank, just a separate straw.

If you are out riding and your bike starts to run out of fuel you can switch it to Reserve and it should be enough to get you to the next petrol station to fuel up.

Make sure you turn it back to the ON postion before you set off though or else you could find you run out of fuel altogether !

Hope this helps. :D

easy mate, yeah the bike does have a reserve tank but it fills up automatically through the main petrol tank. All you need to do to use the reserve petrol is turn the cock. When u fill up the petrol will first fill this and then the main tank.

Im sure thats just what i said................. :blink:

A load of stuff Goff said

Ok, come clean - who are you and what have you done with our beloved Goff ??? Bring her back straight away.

Welcome along Ben - you were really lucky with that answer, most of the time you'd have got some sarcastic crap suggesting training or something had you gone to a lesser forum. Everyone starts somewhere, you've picked a pretty good place to ask your questions.

sorry mate my computer was playing up and I could only see the starting posts of every thread...

I shall letcha off this time then ;)

Although "mate" and "man" are usually reserved for the male population - me i am a laydee and i like to doooo laydees things :D

- me i am a laydee and i like to doooo laydees things :D

Oh so many thoughts, so so many........

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online