HOW DO I GET THE BEST PERFORMANCE FROM MY DRAG 125

dragstar_125
This post is 5667 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This one is going out to taskmaster!!! how do i get the best performance from my dragstar 125......i.e shifting gears.....i think i might be shifting too early and thats why im not getting the best acceleration......im shifting into 2nd straight away then a few seconds later into 3rd...seems difficult to get past 4oMPH i know this is my fault...

CHEERS MO CHARA

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

TT? *tut* - you dont need him :lol:

Changing gear - OK lets see if i can help

You should really be changing gears when the bike is producing enough torque to give you the most efficient acceleration, basically when the engine "wants" a gear change.

Timing is the hardest thing to learn when changing gear.

You should be aiming to select a gear when the engine is running in a decent rpm range, which is usually the bottom of the powerband. You should only change when you need to change - changing to early will lead to insufficient acceleration which in turn could lead you to stall your bike. Too much and the engine will scream blue murder at you.

You need to listen to your engine and get used to how it sounds. You say you might be changing too early - try leaving it a little later, see how the engine responds then. Its something you learn about your bike and not something you can do by reading a book or being told - you have to know your bike. However, here's a little rough guide that might help you - every bike will be different, but here are some basic guidelines for when to change up when you accelerate and change down when you are slowing down to keep the engine spinning in the desired rpm range:

Changing points:

First Gear: 0-10 mph change up at 10 mph

Second Gear: 5-25 mph change up at 25 mph, change down at 5 mph

Third Gear: 20-40 mph, change up at 40 mph, change down at 20 mph

Fourth Gear: 35-55 mph, change up at 55 mph, change down at 35 mph

Fifth Gear: 55+ mph, change down at 50

HTH ;)

Changing gear - OK lets see if i can help

There's something you don't hear a woman saying very often....ever...

can you hear that sound ?

It's me running away from Goff.... :help:

There's something you don't hear a woman saying very often....ever...

can you hear that sound ?

It's me running away from Goff.... :help:

I do believe i have said this several times on this here forum. :P

And run............. you better be able to move like the wind......cos if i catch ya........ :ph34r::lol:

I do believe i have said this several times on this here forum. :P

And run............. you better be able to move like the wind......cos if i catch ya........ :ph34r::lol:

not very,

but I'm really good at hiding - just ask my missis when the garden needs done.......

Goff, in this instance, is perfectly correct.

I'm going to describe my method for you to consider. What I'm about to detail is just 'what I did'. It's not a definite way, or even the best way, of doing this. I'm just offering a slightly different view.

When doing this, ride normally (don't whack open teh throttle or anything) and above all keep your mind on the road. Safety is paramount at all times on the road!!!!!

As mentioned, you need to learn the sounds and sensations of your engine.

Find a long stretch of empty road. Be on it when no-one is about.

Stop somewhere at the start of your 'test track'.

Move off in 1st gear. Hear what the engine sounds like when the revs kick in and you get going. It'll probably rev high as you start lettiung out the clutch then drop dramatically to a low rumble, before climbing as you pick up speed with your increased throttle. As you increase the throttle, hear and feel the engine as it moves into the power band, feel the bike pulling. Keep going until it starts sounding like the bike is complaining at the effort, rather than appreciatively purring. You may also feel there is no more 'pull' from the engine either. You have now left the upper range of the power band and the bike has no more power from here on. If you still have more throttle-twist left, apply it and notice how the bike doesn't surge forward like it did at the lower revs. That's the clue that you're already way over the power band.

If you still keep going, the bike will scream it's little nuts off and you'll eventually blow the engine up, so don't.

Basically, for optimum performance you want to shift up to 2nd before you actually hit the top of the power band.

You don't want to be too close to the top, either. When you shift to 2nd, you want to reapply clutch and throttle and be greeted by a low-mid range rev, just at the bottom of the 2nd power band. If you rev to high before shifting up, you'll have wasted some of 2nd and the bike will not respond so well.

However, you don't want to shift too soon out of 1st, because the bike will then struggle at the lower revs in 2nd and again you'll not have the power you want.

Continue this all the way up to top speed and get used to feeling & hearing where your bike is happy in the various gears. There is no easy way to describe this and each bike is different, so you'll just have to do loads of practice and learn by sound/feel - Like most of us.

I've always found 1st-4th is what carries the power and 5th is just to keep going smooth without revving the bollocks off.

After a bit of private practice like this, you'l start to pay more attention when you're normally riding about. Once you have established the rules of what your bike likes you to do, you can then learn to anticipate better, get into gear sooner, pull away faster and keep your lead, gear down for an overtake and such.

We can only explain so much. The rest is about getting out there and learning from feel.

The exact same thing goes for cornering, braking, riding in varying conditions.... We can explain the basics, but the rest you have to see, hear & feel to understand.

you guys are amazing!!!! my bike would be dead by now if it wasnt for people like you!!! what a forum i have stumbled across!!! I shall go home an practice that tonight i will let you al know tomorrow the outcome if i found a difference and by what ur saying i think i will...

i was onto some of the ideas u gave me but just didnt know how to put them into practice.....will let u know how i got on !! tthanks GOFF thanks TT !!!!! came through as usual!!!

*picks herself up off the floor cos TT thinks she's right*

Between us, OldGit and Gas up, we'd make quite a team, I reckon!!!!

Between us, OldGit and Gas up, we'd make quite a team, I reckon!!!!

you do make a good team!!! GOFF has great info all the time ...likewise Ttaskmaster ...had the drag out last night was reading through your tips and i realised im an idiot haha!!! I have been shifting up gears then giving it half throttle every time and not lettign it pick up the speed...so i have been throwing too much throttle on when shifting up!!! ...i got the bike up to 50 last ngiht which was good...i have realised my speedo lights are not working !!!!! im quite annoyed!!!!

Nahhh you're not an idiot -just takes tiome to get used to your bike.

When i got mine i had come straight off a CBR600 - i slammed it into first from second and jaysus did it scream and lurch like you wouldn't believe!

Then on the way back (with pillion) i went into to 3rd from 2nd and wasnt going fast enough - result was the bike stalled, threw us forward and the pillion headbutted me :lol:

We all been there at some point honey - and you would not believe some of the steeeeyoooopid things i have done over the years ;)

When i got mine i had come straight off a CBR600 - i slammed it into first from second and jaysus did it scream and lurch like you wouldn't believe!

Then on the way back (with pillion) i went into to 3rd from 2nd and wasnt going fast enough - result was the bike stalled, threw us forward and the pillion headbutted me :lol:

We all been there at some point honey - and you would not believe some of the steeeeyoooopid things i have done over the years ;)

Bet you didn't fall off though.........

Yesterday - descending the lane from Hartside Cafe to Gamblesby (Cumbria) I was in the wrong gear, going a bit too slow over some slippery rutts, and clunk! stall, one rider - arse over tit down a very muddy bank!!!!!

Rode that route a 100 times - sometimes you just get caught out...... :angry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online