STARTER SHORT ON 83 XS400 MAXIM

Gnash
This post is 5666 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, I sold my 83 xs 400. The guy rode it around town all day before buying it. After he gives me the money, he rides it home and a few miles down the road, the bike dies. He flooded it and couldn't get it started. He cranked on the starter for a long time until the battery died. I showed up with a new battery, cleaned the plugs off, PUT SOME GAS IN IT, and started it. Now my stater is toast. It will not crank at full speed. I took it apart and found some windings "welded together" inside. After I got the bike started the first time, I would ride for a few minutes then the bike would just die while riding. Would this starter be a "dead short" now, and cause the bike to die? I'm assuming it's not letting the charging system keep the voltage up. I have spark, but now I can't even get a full crank with a new battery. I had never had to crank on the starter like this guy did. This is a new symptom. I gave the guy his money back after I started the bike and it sounded cool, as far as a knock or anything. He will buy it again after I get it running again. I'm putting a new starter on in a couple of days. Any thoughts?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So, I sold my 83 xs 400. The guy rode it around town all day before buying it. After he gives me the money, he rides it home and a few miles down the road, the bike dies. He flooded it and couldn't get it started. He cranked on the starter for a long time until the battery died. I showed up with a new battery, cleaned the plugs off, PUT SOME GAS IN IT, and started it. Now my stater is toast. It will not crank at full speed. I took it apart and found some windings "welded together" inside. After I got the bike started the first time, I would ride for a few minutes then the bike would just die while riding. Would this starter be a "dead short" now, and cause the bike to die? I'm assuming it's not letting the charging system keep the voltage up. I have spark, but now I can't even get a full crank with a new battery. I had never had to crank on the starter like this guy did. This is a new symptom. I gave the guy his money back after I started the bike and it sounded cool, as far as a knock or anything. He will buy it again after I get it running again. I'm putting a new starter on in a couple of days. Any thoughts?

Can you get it running by bump starting it? What is the voltage across the terminals? You may want to disconnect the starter if you think its drawing current or something.

Unless something is VERY wrong with the wiring the starter doesn't draw any current except when actually cranking the engine.

Unless something is VERY wrong with the wiring the starter doesn't draw any current except when actually cranking the engine.

faulty starter soleniod?

All is well! The starter was cooked. I am so lucky to have found a boneyard about 80 miles from my house! They must have had 10 83 xs 400 maxims!!!!!!!! This guy has a couple thousand bikes laying around!! Anyway I found another starter, that looks brand new, for $65. It started right up and doesn't drain the voltage. Problem solved. It's also good to know I have a place to find a TCI, voltage regulator or some other hard to fins part close by.