LEAKY PETCOCK on 83 xs 400 Maxim

Gnash
This post is 5666 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 83 xs 400 DOHC Maxim has recently developed "Petcock Incotinence." It just drips out with the valve set to the on position. It normally doesn't leak anything. The petcock has res, pri, and on. None of these posotions are "Off." The on position is off when the bike isn't running. It set overnight. I came in the next morning and I must have leaked a half a gallon onto the floor. It's filling up the carbs too, leaking out of the intake side and filling up the cylinders. Some gas got onto my NEW backtire and formed a bubble on the tire. I am so pissed. Anyway. Is there a quick fix for the valve? I want to put a "Shut-off" valve after the petcock and in front of the filter. Will this hinder performance? It seems like my only option without putting in another petcock. Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A shut off valve after the petcock is hardly gonna stop the petcock leaking...is it?

It wouldn't stop the leak? I just need to keep the gas from flowing while the bike is not running. Right now, I'm taking the gas tank off every time I ride!

Aah i get it, its not leaking its passing, you neet to strip it down you might find some rust or crud has gotten under the diaphragm!

Yup, that's what happened to me. Strip the petcock, Gnash. Make sure the little o-ring on the plunger is intact, and the diaphragm isn't ripped. Oh yeah, make sure the spring is ok.

I put on a new "gasket" deal. It's the rubber part with the 4 holes in it under the valve. That didn't help. I put a fuel cutoff valve in line. It's working. I'm getting a couple drops overnight leaking out of the valve. I'm gonna rebuild the whole thing or find another one. thanks

I put on a new "gasket" deal. It's the rubber part with the 4 holes in it under the valve. That didn't help. I put a fuel cutoff valve in line. It's working. I'm getting a couple drops overnight leaking out of the valve. I'm gonna rebuild the whole thing or find another one. thanks

go to your boneyard and get another one, might be the easiest way!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online