Hi all ...Aussie Yamaha fan..

AussieYDS3
This post is 5671 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

New Here ....im restoring a early yamaha ..been part of the family for 40 years..stored poorly undercover but is coming along fine bit of a spit sand polish etc...even got it to start and roll up; the road...any how its a 1965/66 YDS3 250 yamaha 2stoke..its needing a front guard ome pictured is off a . later model s..pipes need rechroming etc etc ..have started on the seat....i live in Australia and have like most of us had a range of bikes..last one was in 1985 ..1100 Katana from1982...but have had a "SPURT"up the road on various friends bikes over the years..to be honest part of the fun this time round is seeing that this old yamaha didnt fade away....well ill lurk around and thnxs for the read Cheers from here ..Pete

2007-01-0100-05-46_0033.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

G day mate moving to aus in jan in two minds about taking my bike whats it like out there.

Where are you moving to Dan, PM if you like, I live in Suffolk, work in London, have a house in Sydney, and ride 3 styles of bike, so can give you a good comparison / overview ;)

Where are you moving to Dan, PM if you like, I live in Suffolk, work in London, have a house in Sydney, and ride 3 styles of bike, so can give you a good comparison / overview ;)

we are moving to melbourn not far from phillip island(woo hoo track days 4 me peguins for the kids)in jan

we are moving to melbourn not far from phillip island(woo hoo track days 4 me peguins for the kids)in jan

Like most places, get out of the city and there are some great routes.

Melbourne is yuk to navigate, OK you get used to turning right from the left hand lane (trams have priority) but ge out of the central cluster and there's some stunning scenery. Many folks are surprised at how green Australia is.

The bay ride is great day trip or you can head further afield to the Yarra (mmm wine :) ), Dandenongs or for a weekender in summer time the Snow River national Park is superb. If you fancy a bit of off-roading these are good places to go too.

Bear in mind, much of Australia still has unsealed roads, so check before venturing out, many parts of what is now urban Sydney were still dirt tracks up the late '60s so once you get rural, check for dotted lines on the map ;)

I have not done any coastal roads so can't comment, but the road to Sale looks good, or you can pack your kit and keep going to Mallacoota, cross the border B) and up to Bega B) (had my bestest ever burger in a garage/milk bar there :) ) ou can then do look round to Bomballa.

If you fancy a riverside ride, head north to the NSW borderand follow the Murray as far as you like.

In short you WILL want a bike :D

As for whether it's better to take yours along or buy over there, if you are shipping stuff anyway and there's space in the container and have owned your bike for at least 12 months (check that period hasn't changed or you'll cop import duty), may be worth taking it/them. As you probably know, it's left hand side of the road over there so lights will be OK, speeds are all metric so KPH, but your bikes will have that. You may have to take a test within 3 months to get an Aussie license, but check this, it was dropped for car drivers in NSW, so maybe OK but check for Victoria, every state varies and you will have to register your bikes in your state. I don't think they have an SVA type test, check, the 'rego' test includes 3rd party insurance and is compulsary so you'll need to get that sorted on arrival.

At time of writing the GBP/Aussie rate is around 2.55 (or 39p to the dollar) so sterling is pretty strong to the Aussie, but this can change, few weeks back it was nearly 50p. At Bendigo Yamaha they have an 08 R1 for sale at 16k, that's currently just under £6.5k so on a par with the UK at current rates, at 50p on the other hand it's closer to £8k, something o bear in mind when you send you money over. If on the otehr hand you finance from Aus salary, it dont matter, just bear in mind interest rates are steeper over there if thinking about finance and they dont have so much of a blip in sales as they dont have the registration plate changes like the UK, so the new plate status symbol doesn't exist.

Right I'd better shuddup now.

Have Fun! :D

• 2 weeks later...

New Here ....im restoring a early yamaha ..been part of the family for 40 years..stored poorly undercover but is coming along fine bit of a spit sand polish etc...even got it to start and roll up; the road...any how its a 1965/66 YDS3 250 yamaha 2stoke..its needing a front guard ome pictured is off a . later model s..pipes need rechroming etc etc ..have started on the seat....i live in Australia and have like most of us had a range of bikes..last one was in 1985 ..1100 Katana from1982...but have had a "SPURT"up the road on various friends bikes over the years..to be honest part of the fun this time round is seeing that this old yamaha didnt fade away....well ill lurk around and thnxs for the read Cheers from here ..Pete

2007-01-0100-05-46_0033.jpg

wow amazing bike cant wait to see it with the chrome done my mate has an old 76 cb200 he loves his old stuff they r am,azing to ride

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online