Engine wont turn off by ignition when hot

Hardrive
This post is 5699 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again guys. Seem to be getting a fault that I cant turn engine off by the ignition switch when the engine is hot but will turn off with the emergancy stop switch on the handlebar. but only does this when the engine is hot when is cold it turns off by the ignition switch ok......my bike is a 1993 yamaha sr 125. I think its pre ignition but what could be causing the problem

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would have said you have a bad earth on the ig switch, if it was pre ig then the "emergency stop" as you put it wouldnt work either.

I seem to recall the ig switches on those is below the tank? I may be wrong so when the engine is hot so is the switch.

Ill have to have a look at the wireing tomorrow see if there is anything obvious that stands out but the ignition it self only has two wires and work as the nutral light goes off but the engine doesnt. guess ill have to strip all the crummy joins that somebody has done you know the type twist the wires together and tape it up with insilation tape..I have some heat shrink on order anyway and was going to solder the joins in the headlamp. but after all what do I expect I only paid £200 for the bike I will have to put some pics of when I got it and how it looks now...

Ill have to have a look at the wireing tomorrow see if there is anything obvious that stands out but the ignition it self only has two wires and work as the nutral light goes off but the engine doesnt. guess ill have to strip all the crummy joins that somebody has done you know the type twist the wires together and tape it up with insilation tape..I have some heat shrink on order anyway and was going to solder the joins in the headlamp. but after all what do I expect I only paid £200 for the bike I will have to put some pics of when I got it and how it looks now...

Yeah I know the feeling paid £300 for my 96 Sr125

Paul. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online