A bit Clunky going into second from first gear...

TheSaffer
This post is 5703 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have bought a 2003 R1 a little while ago and it had a bit of a clunk changing from 1st into 2nd since I got it.

But now its as if I am noticing it more and more. Its a definite clunk at low speeds of 25-45mph and then more of a pinging sound between 45mph and up.

I have been told by a few people that this is a normal noisy R1 gearbox and that lots of them do it. I was also advised that my chain might be too tight when I'm sitting on it, but it looks fine to me...

Have any of you have any suggestions or should I begin to worry???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You do 45mph in 1st???!!!

Feck me......

OK, assuming that's a normal thing for these Sporty bike things..... I'd guess the clunk is normal.

Every other bike I've ridden is similar: ER5, GZ500, XJR400, Drag 125, 650 and 1100, Shadow 750, VFR800, Deauville 650 and 700...... Think that's the whole list.

I quite like the clunk, myself.

I also get a very manly Cruiser-style clunk when I use my big, manly combat boots to stamp into 1st from Neutral.

I've seen threads on this before elsewhere and generally it's deemed OK.

Do check the bike over, though. Check the clutch cable too. It may be that you're simply not disengaging the plates quite enough. Make sure your biting point isn't near the fullest extent of the clutch lever, ie the lever should not be very close to the grip when it bites.

It should sound like a desk drawer locking.

If it becomes more like the graunch of a car missing a gear, definitely get it checked.

This is my opinion only, though.

I am not a mechanic.

"They all do that sir...." Only try little dan¬idea if you like plane spotting, coz if you like doing 45 in first you will definitely be monowheeling with that gearing. (mind you most R1s with standard gearing are good for 90+ in first)

Mind you he may well be right about the cush drive. Stick her up on a paddock stand and with the bike in first rock yhe back wheel sharply to and fro and see how much slack there is in the rear chain carrier. If you can detect ANY movement between carrier and rear wheel hub, you need new cush rubbers.

also see if there is any slack or clonking at the gear box end. You may have worn splines on the front sprocket or (worse) the output shaft itsef.

or a loose sprocket retaining bolt.

these show up more in the lower gears as the transition between gears is usually larger (more of a jump) than in the closer ratio higher gears. Also you tend to be on and of the gas round town in the lower gears than "on it" in the higher ones on the open road.

If everything checks out ok, you have probably just got a clunky one. if it don`t jump out of gear and your big toe can take the jolt, get on and enjoy it ;)