Faster Yammy!, Faster!

wild foamy
This post is 5711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

nobody told me about the gearboxes, just me thinking out loud again.

ive seen some MXs' with five speed boxes (first few i looked at were 5 speed) one of which was a 1992 which is in the same classification(?) as my 1990 (DT50 MX 87 - 93)

unless im just off on a tangent again, that happens alot :P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That would mean an engine swap as the box and the engine are one and the same unit, unless you are into old brit iron.

Lot of grief (read cash) for no real gain.

I take it you mean that you have a 5 and the new ones are 6......

nope, mines a 4 speed ( 1-N-2-3-4) but some other DTs' in the same age band as mine use a 5 speed (1-N-2-3-4-5) setup.

if the engine and 'box are one unit then i guess there snot much i can do without doing a complete engine+box change, which is not worth the money or effort tbh.

a dt/rd 80 cc engine is a six speed gear box back in the day the ar boys use to put in the ar 80 cc engine because it had 6 speed gearbox you you try using a rd 80 lc motor in your frame, the front of the standard carb can be taper ported, the wider the ports the more they flow and the higher the ports flow more and open and shut later also the inlet port can stay open all the time = 360 degree then the reed valve stops and starts flow also the squish needs to be under 1.0mm and you can also get the squish recut you use lead solider to measure the squish, you can change the gear ratios inside the gearbox like you do with the dt/rd lc 125,

using a thicker cylinder head gasket reduces compression and squish which is a bad thing also you could try a spacer tube on the back of the carb then slide the filter on the spacer tube and remember to do up the jubilee clips to hold on spacer tube and filter you could try a ram air filter,

with a k and n and s and b filters you need to use filter oil if you use the filters with out filter oil this lets dirt into the engine

you could try a fully synthetic 2 stroke racing oil then you should be able to rev to 10,000 rpm or 11,000 rpm on the road with tuned 2 stroke you need to change rings and pistons more for reliability, my lc on the road revs to 11,000 rpm,

and ordered in a bigger front sprocket and slightly smaller rear one this will up gear the dt one tooth bigger on the front is the same as taking 3 teeth off the back sprocket

a six speed would be nice but if it involves an engine change i dont think its worth the effort.

i would rather take a 5 speed box off another DT50MX (similar year) and replace my 4 speed (still using the same 50cc engine)

will have to have a look around the breakers and see what i can find...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online