sr125 steering

kennyv50
This post is 5717 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi can anyone help. Have just purchased a 2002 sr125, in order to take test and move onto a bigger bike. The bike has been a bit neglected, left in street to all weathers and not sure about maintenance. Starting is a bit of a struggle, but with carb clean out new spark plug its improved, next is the valves and chain adjustments. But the thing that is bugging me now that I have been able to ride the bike is that it seems over willing to turn left or right at slow speeds, when you turn the handle bars. I know you will think 'yeah turn the handle bars what do I expect' but the steering on this bike seems to almost want to take a dive to which ever way you turn. Could it be natural on this cruiser type bike, I dont get it on my Chinese sukida 125, my only other point of reference.

An MOT is due soon, and I would like to sort the problem, if indeed I have one, before hand. Any other SR125 owners view would be much appreciated. thanks Ken. ps does anyone have a haynes manual for sale?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the front tyre pressure, too soft can do this

Thanks for your reply, I feel about 2" high, not only did I not give the tyres a thought regards the steering problem, I hadnt even checked them over for general condition or pressure. They, while looking alright, were flat as a pudding, so Ive pumped them up to pressure but will have to wait until this afternoon before I can test drive again in the pl;ayground.

Maybe I should that your name on, old git on a bike.

I had brought the bike as a non starter, and as soon as I had got it starting up, I just wanted to jump on for a ride to test.

thanks again, will add a message after test run.. Kennyv 'old git at' 50.

Hi Kenny,

I just had a look at the two bikes you mentioned.

The SR does have a notably lesser rake angle than the Sukida. The forks being closer to the bodymeans that the SR will tip into corners a lot quicker than you may be used to on the other bike.

The SR is a bit odd, sort of like a half-Cruiser, IMO. Not quite feet-forward, but neither tucked up beneath you....Very good bike, though - favoured among learners and those seeking a nippy commuter.

One of the advantages in this responsive steering is when filtering. Makes for a very manoeuvrable bike, there ;)

Just remember when steering - Small Corrections!!

Ride safe,

Woody.

Hi Kenny,

I just had a look at the two bikes you mentioned.

The SR does have a notably lesser rake angle than the Sukida. The forks being closer to the bodymeans that the SR will tip into corners a lot quicker than you may be used to on the other bike.

The SR is a bit odd, sort of like a half-Cruiser, IMO. Not quite feet-forward, but neither tucked up beneath you....Very good bike, though - favoured among learners and those seeking a nippy commuter.

One of the advantages in this responsive steering is when filtering. Makes for a very manoeuvrable bike, there ;)

Just remember when steering - Small Corrections!!

Ride safe,

Woody.

Your views are interesting, and I thank you for them.

I have started to check other elements of the bike and noticed oil leaking from one of the fork seals, so thats my next job, I'm thinking that semi flat tyres, unbalanced forks and the slightly odd setup of the Sr, was the cause of the rather severe diving motion I felt, during my first ride on the bike. Which leads me to a question, does anyone know the size of the fork seals on these bikes? I tend to use Simply bearings for such items, as they are cheap on goods and P&P.

A short story, today I pulled into the local Library, to try to get a copy of the Haynes manual for the bike, as I pulled in a slightly more elderly gent than me, was about to pull away, on his bike, the next thing I knew, hes head butting my back wheel. I helped him up, only to be told , that he had not done that before, and proceeded to the front wheel muttering something about the dam lock. I thought that he had left the steering lock on, but no, he removed some kind of locking device that he had previously forgotten to remove and was waving it furiously in the air. I was finding it difficult not to grin, although I must say Ive done it once, myself, but at least it was only a rear chain, and just stopped me moving off, not sent me head over tit.

Any help or info re changing the seal would be appreciated. Cheers Ken

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online